Homemade Feta cheese Pizza recipe
Posted in Baked, Intermediate, Main Courses, Mainland Greece, Our hand picked recipes, Traditional Greek Feta Cheese Recipes, Vegetarian Originally published on October 19, 2013 Last updated on January 21, 2016 By Eli K. Giannopoulos
Feta cheese pizza – A unique Greek inspired pizza recipe!
A unique Greek inspired feta cheese pizza recipe made with -what else- feta cheese! Have a bite and let the juices flow in your mouth! Crispy, fluffy, juicy and absolutely delicious… This feta cheese pizza is full of mouthwatering Mediterranean flavors; spicy feta cheese, fresh juicy tomatoes, sweet and crunchy onions and tangy olives. Made with a really easy dough recipe, that makes it impossible to fail, even if you haven’t made any before. This homemade feta cheese pizza, will surely become your newest favorite!
Feta cheese pizza recipe or.. ‘Greek salad pizza’!
The main ingredient you will need to make this feta cheese pizza recipe is of course feta cheese which is a favourite ingredient in all types of Greek recipes, be it fried, baked or used for stuffing until nicely softened and slightly melty. A mature feta gives this feta cheese pizza recipe a bold and salty flavor.
For the sauce of this feta cheese pizza use some ripe tomatoes and dried oregano which combined with feta makes a match made in heaven! For the topping use a base of good old fashioned mozzarella cheese to get things all nice and melty and top with mediterranean flavors like onions, peppers, tomatoes, kalamata olives and feta cheese. Just like making a Greek salad! After baking the pizza I always find it a nice addition to add some raw ingredients on top which give a unique and more earthly flavor. Simply irresistible! Finish this delicious feta cheese pizza with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and lift the flavor to the sky!
So go ahead, put down that delivery menu and amaze your friends and family with this super easy and unique feta cheese pizza recipe! The kids will love it and your local pizza delivery will miss you! Enjoy!
For the dough
- 400g all-purpose flour (14 ounces)
- 100g flour for pizza dough (3.5 ounces)
- 300g water, at room-temperature (1 and 1/4 of a cup)
- 7g dry yeast (2 1/2 tsps)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- a splash of milk
For the sauce
- 300g tinned plum tomatoes (10 ounces)
- 1 tbsp dry oregano
- 2 tbsps of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 small clove of garlic, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the topping
- 200g mozzarella, grated (7 ounces)
- 300g feta cheese, crumbled (10 ounces)
- 1 large green pepper, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 small ripped tomato, sliced
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 200g black olives, without pits (7 ounces)
- To prepare this feta cheese pizza recipe, start by making the dough. Add into the bowl of the electric mixer the water along with the yeast. Stir with a fork and wait 3-4 minutes, for the yeast to be completely dissolved and starts bubbling. Pour in a splash of milk. Into the same bowl, add the flour, the salt and sugar. Using the dough hook, mix all the ingredients in low speed for about 5-7 minutes, until the dough becomes an elastic ball. Whilst mixing, pour in the olive oil. When done, remove the dough from the hook and check out its texture. It should be smooth and elastic and slightly sticky. If it is too sticky, add just a little more flour (1/2 tsp), mix and check again.
- Leave the dough to rest for 5 minutes and then mix again for 2 minutes.
- Coat lightly the dough with some olive oil, place the dough inside and cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough sit in warm place for at least 30 minutes, until it doubles it’s size.
- Take the dough out of the bowl knead for a while, to deflate it and split in 3 evenly sized balls. Using a rolling pin, stretch out each ball, on a floured surface, and shape into a thin round shaped pizza base (0.5 cm thick)
- Move the pizza bases on some slightly oiled grease proof paper. Do that now, before adding the toppings, as it will be more difficult to move later.
- To make the sauce of the feta cheese pizza, heat a saucepan on low-medium heat and add a 1 tbsp of olive oil and the garlic. Saute, until slightly golden and then add the basil, the tomatoes, the oregano and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for about 20 minutes, mashing the tomatoes with a wooden spoon, while it cooks.
- This feta cheese pizza recipe is all about the topping! Choose some good-quality ingredients, as it will enhance the flavour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Smear the tomato sauce over the base of the pizzas and spread with a spoon. Grate the mozzarella on top and scatter the sliced tomato, the onions, the peppers and 1/3 of the olive oils and feta cheese. Bake each pizza for 15-20 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- When done, top with the rest of the crumbled feta cheese, the rest of the olives and the chopped tomatoes. Adding raw ingredients on top of this feta cheese pizza, will give a unique and more earthly flavour. Drizzle with olive oil and add a good pinch of dried oregano.