Perfect Potato gratin with Feta cheese
Posted in Baked, Beginner, Comfort food, Heartwarming dishes, Main Courses, Mainland Greece, Side dishes, Sunday family meal ideas, Traditional Greek Christmas Recipes, Traditional Greek Feta Cheese Recipes, Vegetarian, Weekend family meal ideas Originally published on December 14, 2013 Last updated on March 26, 2017 By Eli K. Giannopoulos
The perfect potato gratin recipe! Imagine luscious layers of the most creamy béchamel-based sauce, sweet caramelised onions, tangy and salty feta cheese and tender potatoes, topped with crispy bacon and Parmesan cheese.. And all these baked to golden perfection! This is the perfect potato gratin, packed with Mediterranean flavours. Indulge your self to this little sin!
- 1.5 kg potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (53 ounces)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 red onions, chopped
- a pinch of oregano
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsps butter
- 2 tbsps flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup milk cream
- 150g feta cheese (5-6 ounces)
- a handful chopped spring onion
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- a handful of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 rashers bacon, chopped (optional)
- To prepare these amazing potato gratin recipe, finely chop the onion and garlic. Into a hot pan, add 2 tbsps of olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic, until tender. Add the honey and oregano and stir. Set aside.
- For the béchamel- milk cream sauce, melt 2 tbsps of butter into a deep pan, over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk to make a paste. Add the vegetable stock, whilst whisking and then pour in the double cream, a little bit at a time, whilst whisking, to form a smooth cream. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes. Add the potatoes in the béchamel sauce and the spring onions and stir well. Spoon half of the potatoes mixture into the potato gratin dish in an even layer. Add the crumbled feta cheese and half of the onion mixture. Spoon the rest of the potatoes into the dish and even. Top with the rest of the onion mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake in preheated oven at 180C for 1 hour 30 minutes. Remove the foil the last 30 minutes, so that the potatoes are nicely coloured.
- Serve with some crispy fried bacon on top, sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese and chopped parsley. Enjoy!