The best homemade Greek chicken gyro recipe with fluffy pita breads and creamy tzatziki sauce for you to recreate this authentic Greek delight from scratch!
For the chicken gyro
- 700–800g boneless chicken thighs (25 ounces)
- 1,2 lt water (5 cups)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemon (cut in the middle)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 cloves of garlic (not peeled)
- 1tsp pepper
- 40g sea salt (approx. 2 tbsps)
For the tzatziki sauce
- 1 cucumber
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 of a cup olive oil
- 500g of yogurt (18 ounces)
- 1–2 tbsps of red wine vinegar
- a pinch of salt
- 8 pita breads
- olive oil
- 1–2 tsps dried oregano
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- fried potatoes (optional)
- romaine (cos) lettuce (optional)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- To prepare this chicken gyro recipe, start by preparing the marinade for the gyro. Place a large saucepan over medium heat, add all the marinade ingredients for the chicken gyro and stir well. As soon as the water comes to the boil, remove the pan from the stove and let it cool. In the meantime cut the chicken legs into thin strips.
- Pour the water into a large bowl and add the chicken strips. Cover with some plastic wrap and place in the fridge for half an hour. (Be careful not to leave the chicken gyro marinade more that half an hour, because it will become very salty.)
- In the meantime prepare the tzatziki sauce for the chicken gyro. Pour in a blender the olive oil and grated garlic and blend until combined. Remove the skin and seeds of the cucumber and grate it into a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and leave aside for 10 minutes. Wrap the grated cucumber in a towel and squeeze, in order to get rid of the excess water. In a bowl, add the cucumber, the blended garlic and oil, the yogurt, 1-2 tbsps of red wine vinegar, a pinch of salt and blend, until the ingredients are combined. Store the tzatziki sauce in the fridge and always serve cold.
- Drain the chicken from the water and wipe with some paper towel. When preparing this chicken gyro recipe, to achieve the desired crunchiness sauté the gyro into a very hot large non-sticking pan for 2-3 minutes on each side, without stirring, until nicely coloured. Open one piece up to see if it is cooked (there should be no pink in the middle).
- While your chicken gyro is being cooked, prepare the pita breads. Preheat the oven to 250C. Use a cooking brush to oil the pita breads on both sides and season with salt and oregano. Place a large oven tray (upside down) at the bottom of the oven and place the pita breads on top of the tray. Bake for 2-3 minutes.
- Chicken gyro is usually served wrapped, like a sandwich. Spread some tzatziki sauce on the pita breads and top it with the chicken gyro, some slices of red onion, some sliced tomato and fried potatoes and wrap.
- For an easier version of this traditional Greek souvlaki with chicken gyro recipe you can serve with Greek yogurt or some mustard and mayonnaise sauce. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 souvlaki with pita and tzatziki
- Calories: 445kcal
- Sugar: 6.2g
- Sodium: 2976.5mg
- Fat: 17.3g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 42.9g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Protein: 32.3g
- Cholesterol: 102.1mg
Keywords: Chicken gyro recipe, Greek chicken Gyro marinade