A mouthwatering veggie dish, that will amaze you! An extraordinary combination of juicy, salty fried feta covered with crispy, golden-brown sesame seeds with sweet honey sauce! …sounds complicated? Well, it isn’t!
Ready in only 10 minutes, this dish will definitely become your favorite appetizer! Fried feta with honey is a delicious meze that has it’s origins in Cretan cuisine, where one can find lots of recipes that combine salty cheese with sweet, or sour-sweet honey sauces, and the nutty flavor of slightly toasted sesame seeds.
In lots of recipes, fried feta cheese is deep-fried in lots of oil, but we found it healthier and equally tasty, to shallow fry it using enough olive oil, just to cover the bottom of the frying pan. Plus deep frying makes it possible to lose it’s shape.
Serve with a leafy salad aside and a glass of cold white wine and enjoy!
Got a comment or suggestion? Drop us a note in the comments section below. And as always, don’t forget to share with your friends and family! Oh and you can always read this delicious recipe in Greek here Φέτα πανέ με σουσάμι και μέλι συνταγή.Print
A delicious fried feta with honey and sesame seeds recipe! This mouthwatering veggie, cheesy dish will amaze you! Imagine chunks of juicy, salty fried feta covered with crispy, golden-brown sesame seeds and drizzled in a sweet honey sauce!
- 250g feta cheese (9 ounces)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of freshly ground pepper
- 70–80g of flour, enough to coat the feta (3 ounces)
- 60g sesame seeds
- olive oil for frying
- 4 tbsps of honey
- To prepare the fried feta, start by cutting the feta cheese into little blocks, about 1,5cm thick.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat with a fork. Into another bowl add the flour, the paprika and the pepper and mix with a spoon, to combine the ingredients. Into a third bowl, add the sesame seeds.
- Roll each piece of feta into the eggs, then roll into the flour. Roll each piece again into the eggs and then in the sesame seeds, so that all sides are covered.
- Heat about 6-7 tbsps of olive oil into a frying pan, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan and fry the feta until nicely colored. Use a slotted spoon to flip the fried feta, so that it is nicely colored on all sides. When done, place on some kitchen paper to absorb the extra oil.
- In the meantime, warm the honey into a saucepan, or the microwaves, until liquid.
- Serve the fried feta while still hot with a drizzle of honey.
- Serving Size: 1 portion
- Calories: 295kcal
- Sugar: 13.4g
- Sodium: 405.1mg
- Fat: 17.7g
- Saturated Fat: 7.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 10.9g
- Cholesterol: 91.6mg
Keywords: Fried Feta Cheese recipe, Feta cheese with Honey and Sesame