A super tasty and super easy feta cheese appetizer! An extraordinary combination of salty feta, crispy phyllo and sweet honey sauce, that will amaze you!
This feta cheese appetizer is a traditional mezes (starter) that originates from the island of Crete and is the perfect match for those delicious local drinks, like raki, rakomelo and tsikoudia, saganaki and of course a traditional Greek BBQ!
In Greece, this delicious feta cheese wrapped in phyllo, honey and sesame seeds meze is usually served as part of a meze platter, together with some chickpea fritters (revithokeftedes), hummus, melitzanosalata (aubergine dip), tirokafteri (spicy feta cheese dip), fava (Yellow Split Peas Puree) and some delicious beef meatballs and lamb meatballs. Of course also by themseves, with warm crusted bread or pita bread.
So go ahead, discover all my secrets to make it to perfection and my recipe below!
Can you freeze your feta wrapped in filo?
Absolutely you can! You will need to wrap your feta with the phyllo pastry and wrap it loosely with some parchment paper and store in an airtight container.
When you are ready to make them, just take them out from the freezer, heat up your frying pan and fry from frozen – no need to defrost them!
Can you bake your phyllo wrapped feta cheese?
Traditionally this delicious starter is shallow fried, but if you’re looking for a lighter variation you can bake it instead. In order for your phyllo pastry to cook throughout you’ll need to brush it with some olive oil when making your little feta parcels.
Then place it with the seam side down, brush the top with some more olive oil and bake at 180C/350F for about 20 minutes. Once baked, serve on your plates and drizzle with your honey sauce and sprinkle your sesame seeds!
If you love feta as much as I do, then these delicious feta cheese recipes below are made for you! Give them a try and don’t forget to let me know what you think!
- Fried Feta with Honey and Sesame Seeds
- Phyllo Rolls With Feta Cheese And Peppers
- Greek Feta Cheese Pie Recipe (Tiropitakia)
- Spiral-Shaped Greek Cheese Pie Recipe (Kichi Kozanis)
- Fried Bread Stuffed With Feta Cheese (Tiganopsomo)
- Tiropita Strifti (Feta Cheese Pie With Homemade Phyllo)
- Feta Bouyiourdi Recipe (Spicy Greek Baked Feta With Tomatoes)
- Feta Cheese Dip (Tirokafteri)
- Greek feta salad
So go ahead, give my delicious feta cheese wrapped with Phyllo, Honey and Sesame seeds starter a go and let me know what you think in the comments below!Print
A super easy Greek cheese appetizer (Feta me meli)! An extraordinary combination of spicy feta cheese, crispy phyllo and honey sauce, that will amaze you!
- 4 blocks of feta cheese (5x5x1cm), approx. 350g/ 12 ounces
- 4 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 tbsps sesame seeds
- 4 tbsps honey
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp of water
- olive oil for frying
- To prepare this feta cheese appetizer, start by drying the feta with some kitchen paper. Use a knife to cut one phyllo sheet in the middle and brush with olive oil.
- Place the 2 halves of phyllo one on top of each other and in the middle place one block of feta cheese.
- Wrap the block of feta with the phyllo pastry, folding the edges over to form an “envelope” with your feta inside it. Continue with the rest of your feta blocks.
- Warm up your frying pan heat on high heat. Add a good glug of olive oil, enough to cover half of your feta and phyllo blocks.
- Fry your filo wrapped feta on both sides, until golden and crispy. Using a slotted spoon remove from the pan and let them rest on some kitchen paper.
- Heat up a small pan, add the the honey, the red wine vinegar, the water, stir and bring it to a boil.
- Drizzle the feta envelopes with the honey sauce and sprinkle with some sesame seeds. Serve while still hot and enjoy one of the most delicious traditional Greek feta cheese appetizers!
- Serving Size: 1 portion
- Calories: 272kcal
- Sugar: 13.9g
- Sodium: 597.2mg
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 9.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21.3g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 9.8g
- Cholesterol: 51.9mg
Keywords: Feta in filo pastry with honey, Feta me Meli recipe