Greek baklava rolls (saragli) made to perfection! An amazing combination of crispy golden phyllo wrapped around flavourful nutty filling, bathed in syrup with the aromas of lemon cinnamon and clove.
- 450g phyllo dough (14 sheets/ 16oz.)
- 240g melted butter (8.5 oz.)
- finely chopped nuts to garnish
For the syrup
- 250g sugar (8.8 oz.)
- 150g water (5.3 oz.)
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- peel of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
For the filling
- 180g nuts almonds, walnuts, pistachios (6.5 oz.)
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- To make this baklava rolls recipe, start by preparing the syrup first. In a small pot add all the ingredients, except the honey. Place the pot over high heat and boil until the sugar has dissolved. Remove the pot from the stove, add the honey and stir. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a pan melt the butter over low heat and set aside.
- Prepare the filling for the baklava rolls. In a food processor add the nuts and pulse until the nuts are finely (and some roughy chopped). Add the ground cinnamon and clove and mix with a spoon to combine. Set aside.
- Open the phyllo package and place the sheets on your kitchen counter. Cover with a damp (not wet) towel, while you prepare the baklava rolls.
- Butter a baking dish approx. 22x35cm
- Place one sheet of phyllo on your counter and sprinkle with melted butter. Spread some of the nut filling (about 1-1/2 tbsp).
- Then it is time to shape into a roll. Take 2 wooden skewers and place them on the sheets of phyllo like seen in the pictures (not too tightly). Then using your hands, press the ends towards the middle tucking them inside and remove the skewers. Place on your baking dish and repeat with rest.
- When done, brush the top with the rest of melted butter. If you have butter left, pour it evenly on top of the rolls. With a sharp knife cut the rolls into pieces.
- Bake in preheated oven at 150-160C (300-320F) for 60-75 minutes.
- When baked laddle slowly the cold syrup over the hot rolls. Garnish with finely chopped nuts.
- Let the baklava rolls cool down before serving.
Keywords: saragli, baklava rolls