Juicy, caramelised and smoky Greek beef souvlaki skewers recipe! Take your Beef kabobs to the next level with this simple flavourful marinade.
For the Beef Souvlaki & marinade
- 1 kg top sirloin beef cut in chunks (35 oz.)
- 2 tsps mustard
- 1–2 tsps honey
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp hot paprika
- 6 tbsps olive oil
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black and pink peppercorns (to taste)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsps fresh thyme
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
For assembling the beef skewers
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 9–10 wooden skewers
- To prepare this Greek beef souvlaki recipe, cut the beef into equal sized (3 cm/1 inch) cubes and set aside.
- Prepare the marinade for the beef kabobs. In a large bowl add all the ingredients for the marinade and the meat and blend to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let them marinade for at least 1 hour in the fridge. Preferably leave them to marinade overnight so they soak up even more all those wonderful flavours.
- When you are ready to cook the kabobs, prepare the vegetables. Cut the peppers and onion into 3-3.5 cm equal wide squares. Place them in a bowl, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and ground pepper.
- For this Beef souvlaki recipe, you will need about 9-10 wooden skewers, depending on how big you want them to be. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water to prevent them from burning. And make sure to cut the tip so it fits your grill pan!
- Thread the chunks of beef comfortably, on the skewers. Use 1 piece of pepper and 1 piece of onion between each piece of meat.
- Brush the kabobs lightly with the remaining marinade and drizzle with olive oil.
- Heat a large grill pan over high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil and cook the kabobs in batches for about 8 minutes. 2 minutes on each side until nicely coloured and cooked through. (Baste with olive oil as you go.)
- Place the beef skewers on a plate, cover with foil and let them rest for 3-4 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 skewer
- Calories: 260kcal
- Sugar: 2.9g
- Sodium: 614mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 25.4g
- Cholesterol: 65.7mg
Keywords: beef kabobs recipe, greek beef skewers, marinated beef kebabs, beef souvlaki, greek marinade for beef souvlaki