This delicious Christmas Veal stew will definitely set you on a festive mood! Juicy and tender, melt-in-the-mouth beef stew with a delicious, slightly sweet, intense sauce, scented with the aromas of cognac, plums and apricots… Let it simmer to allow its flavours to mingle into something much much more!
Sounds interesting? Discover the secrets behind this amazing Christmas Veal Stew in my recipe below! Not so keen on Veal? Substitute with good quality, low fat beef cuts. And of course, if you love stews, then my traditional beef stifado is made for you!Print
This delicious Christmas Veal stew recipe will definitely set you on a festive mood! Juicy and tender, melt-in-the-mouth beef stew with a delicious, slightly sweet, intense sauce, scented with the aromas of cognac, plums and apricots.
- 1.5 kg of quality stewing veal, cut into 14-16 pieces (53 ounces). Alternatively use high quality, low fat beef cuts
- 600g leaks, sliced (21 ounces)
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2/3 of a cup olive oil
- 1/3 of a cup cognac
- 2 tbsps soya sauce
- 250g warm water (1 cup)
- 16 dried plums (pitted)
- 16 dried apricots (pitted)
- 16 almonds (without skins)
- juice of 2 lemons
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cut the veal into large pieces and wash thoroughly; wipe with some paper towel (it is important to dry the meat well, in order to be nicely browned). Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the meat (in batches) and sauté until browned on all sides. Do not add all the meat in saucepan, rather sauté in batches, so that the temperature of the oil remains high and the meat is sealed. When done, remove with a slotted spoon, place on a platter, cover and set aside.
- Slice the leeks, add in the same oil used to brown the meat and sauté. Add the veal and pour in the cognac; wait for a while, until it evaporates. Add the soya sauce, the carrots, the warm water and season with salt and pepper. Place the lid on, turn the heat down and let it simmer for 1 and 1/2 hour. About 10-15 minutes before the veal is ready, add in the pan the dried plums, apricots and almonds and stir.
- Serve with pilaff, mashed or roast potatoes. Enjoy!
Keywords: christmas stew