A classic Greek lemon beef stew recipe (Moschari lemonato) that surely brings back childhood memories. There is nothing better than a perfectly cooked stew for a large family dinner. And this traditional Greek lemon beef stew recipe (Moschari lemonato) never fails to impress!
Moschari lemonato – A traditional Greek lemon beef stew recipe
‘Moschari lemonato’ is a traditional Greek recipe for stewed veal or beef or let me rephrase.. This Greek lemon beef stew recipe is with no doubt the most delicious lemon beef stew you have ever tried! Together with a beef stifado that is!
It’s simple preparation and presentation, which is part of the Greek cuisine, takes nothing out of it’s exquisite taste. To prepare this super easy Greek lemon beef stew recipe all you have to do is just put all the ingredients together and let the pan or slow-cooker do the rest!
Greek lemon beef stew recipe (Moschari lemonato) – ‘Simplicity is perfection’
Perfectly tender and juicy Greek lemon beef stew simmered in a delicious lemony flavoured sauce to form an amazing full of Mediterranean flavours hearty dish. This amazing traditional Greek lemon beef stew recipe (Moschari lemonato) is the brightest example of how Greek cuisine takes the simplest ingredients and with literally no effort transforms them into a finger licking dish!
For the traditional Greek lemon beef stew recipe, the meat is first browned and sealed, to remain juicy and then added to lemon based sauce, along with aromatic herbs and wine.
“Moschari lemonato” – How to make the perfect Greek lemon beef stew
Greek lemon beef stew is typically cooked at a relatively low temperature -simmered, not boiled- allowing flavors to mingle.
For juicier results, the key is to pick the right kind of meat. For a Greek beef stew, you need to choose large cuts of meat from either the front shoulder or the rear end of beef, which, when cooked for a long time, become fork tender. Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, mashed potatoes or basmati rice and enjoy over a glass of your best white wine!
Oh and you can always read this delicious recipe in Greek here Συνταγή για Μοσχάρι λεμονάτο.
A traditional Greek lemon beef stew recipe (Moschari lemonato) that surely brings back childhood memories. It’s simple preparation and presentation takes nothing out of it’s exquisite taste.
- 1–1.2 kg (35 oz.) stewing beef
- 2 small red onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- juice of 3 lemons
- 2 tsps dried oregano
- 1/2 a cup olive oil
- 1/2 a cup dry white wine
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsps fresh thyme (optional)
- To prepare this Greek beef stew recipe (Moschari lemonato), start by cutting the beef into chunks. Wipe the meat with paper towels. Heat 1/2 of a cup of olive oil into a pan, add the beef and sauté (high heat), until the meat is browned and crusty on all sides. Add the chopped onions and garlic and sauté for 2-3 more minutes.
- Pour in the wine and wait to evaporate. Add the lemon juice, the oregano and enough hot water just to cover the meat. Season with salt and pepper and stir.
- Turn the heat down and simmer with the lid on for at least 1-1.5 hour.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, basmati rice or french fries. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 portion
- Calories: 398kal
- Sugar: 1.6g
- Sodium: 522.9mg
- Fat: 25.4g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 19.4g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 5.2g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 36.7g
- Cholesterol: 109.1mg
Keywords: Greek Lemon beef stew, Moschari lemonato recipe