The authentic greek bougatsa recipe! A traditional Greek dessert made with the most creamy custard wrapped in golden brown crispy phyllo, sprinkled with melted butter and garnished with icing sugar and cinammon.. Simply amazing!
For the bougatsa
- 400–450 g phyllo dough (15 oz)
- 200 g butter, melted (7 oz)
- 200 g sugar (7 oz)
- 1 kg milk (35 oz)
- 120 g all-purpose flour (4.5 oz)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the topping
- ground cinnamon
- icing sugar
- To make this traditional bougatsa recipe, start by making the filling. To prepare the filling for the bougatsa add in a large bowl the sugar, eggs and flour; whisk until the ingredients combine.
- Pour into a saucepan the milk and the vanilla extract and bring to the boil. Right before the milk comes to the boil, pour 1/3 of the milk & vanilla extract mix into the flour mixture from step 1 and stir.
- Turn the heat down. Add the flour & milk mixture into the saucepan with the remaining warm milk. Whisk very quickly, until the mixture has thickened and is smooth and creamy. Do not remove the pan from the stove while whisking. This should take 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the stove and stir occasionally to keep the custard from forming a skin on top, while you prepare the rest of the bougatsa recipe.
- For this bougatsa recipe you will need a large baking tray, approx. 20×30 cm / 8×12 inch. Using a pastry brush, butter the bottom and sides of the tray.
- Unroll the phyllo dough from the plastic sleeve. To make this bougatsa recipe you will need 10-12 phyllo sheets. Use 5-6 sheets of phyllo for the bottom of the bougatsa and 4-5 sheets for the top.
- Begin by layering the sheets one by one on the bottom of the tray, making sure to sprinkle each one thoroughly with melted butter. Tip in the custard from step 4, smoothing the surface with a spatula and fold the phyllo sheet flaps over the custard.
- Cover the bougatsa with 4-5 phyllo sheets, sprinkling each sheet with melted butter. With a knife trim some of the excessive phyllo, if you like, and roll the rest on the edges. Brush the top with plenty of butter and score the top of the bougatsa with a sharp knife.
- Bake the bougatsa in preheated oven at 160C / 320F for 45 minutes, until the phyllo is crisp and golden brown.
- Let the bougatsa cool down for a while before serving and sprinkle with icing sugar and cinnamon. Enjoy while still warm with a hot cup of coffee or tea.
Keywords: bougatsa, bougatsa recipe, Greek bougatsa, how to make bougatsa