This extra healthy roast chicken recipe is based on a combination of brown rice, chicken and fresh vegetables, ideal for a quick mid-week healthy and exciting dinner.
- 500g of chicken thighs, without the skin (18 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4 cups of seasonal vegetables
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Pour the rice in a bowl and let it soak in cold water for at least one hour before boiling it to soften it up.
- Split the chicken thighs into two pieces and place them in an oven tray. In a separate bowl, mix olive oil, mustard, salt and the lemon juice. Stir it well and cover the chicken thighs with this delicious marinade. Make sure that the marinade covers the whole surface of the chicken thighs for a better taste! Pour a glass of water in the tray and insert in the oven.
- To prepare the rice, start by boiling some water in a kettle. Pour 2 1/2 cups of water for every cup of rice in a small saucepan. The moment the water starts boiling, turn down the heat and leave it in the pot until the water is fully absorbed by the rice. It should take about 20 minutes.
- While the rice is boiling, use another sauce pan and boil the vegetables in salted water for about 20 minutes. Before removing them from the pan you sprinkle some fresh herbs to give some extra taste. Ginger and thyme are excellent choices to mix in. Also don’t forget to pour in one tablespoon of olive oil. Your heart will thank you!
- One serving should include 120g of chicken, 1 cup of boiled rice and we fill the plate with the colorful vegetables. Enjoy a very nutritious, tasty and “light” dish.
Keywords: healthy roast chicken, chicken and brown rice