The ancient Greek version of a power bar is “Pasteli”! Greek honey sesame bars is a snack made from honey and sesame seeds in only 10 minutes!
- 220g honey (7.5 oz.)
- 220g sesame seeds (7.5 oz.)
- a pinch of salt
- zest of 1 medium sized lemon
- To prepare this Greek honey sesame bars (Pasteli) recipe start by toasting the sesame seeds. Place a frying pan over high heat and add the sesame seeds. Toast them for 2-3 minutes until golden (not too brown). Remove the sesame seeds from the pan and set aside. Continue with the rest of the recipe quickly, so that the sesame seeds remain hot. Alternatively you can spread the sesame seeds in a pan and toast them in the oven at 180-190C (375F).
- In the same pan add the honey and bring to a boil, until it starts to foam. Add a pinch of salt and the toasted sesame seeds. Lower the heat to medium and stir constantly with a wooden spoon for about 3-5 minutes, until nicely coloured. Be careful not to burn the mixture.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the lemon zest and stir.
- Line a round pan (22cm/ 8.5 inch. diameter) with parchment paper and pour in the mixture. Be careful not to touch it, as it is very hot. Spread the mixture very well using a spoon.
- Let the pasteli cool down for about 20 minutes and them cut into portions. If you let it cool completely then it would be harder to cut into pieces.
Keywords: Greek honey sesame bars, Honey bar, Pasteli recipe