If you are looking for a super easy and healthy sweet snack, then this Greek honey sesame bars recipe (Pasteli) will become a family favorite! Pasteli is actually a Greek sesame candy which is the ancient version of a power bar. A snack made with only two ingredients, honey and sesame seeds, with no addition of sugar. The whole preparation will last only 10 minutes (plus some extra time to cool the bars). It is a perfect vegetarian and vegan snack that will also be great for Lenten season.
Greek Honey sesame bars (Pasteli) Ingredients
In this Greek Pasteli recipe I use sesame seeds and honey, which are the main ingredients. But feel free to experiment with different kind of nuts that you like, such as almonds and pistachios or even a mix of other nuts and sesame seeds. I also add some lemon zest to give more flavour and freshness, but you could omit it all-together or replace it with orange zest. You could also try adding even a pinch (not too much) of ground cinnamon and/or clove. So try experimenting and find the combination that suits your taste better!
The main ingredient that is characteristic for Greek honey bars is honey. Honey gives Pasteli its unique texture and taste. It will be great if you could find some good quality Greek thyme honey! And also add a pinch of salt to lift the flavour. Regular salt will be ok, but using a pinch of Cretan sea salt blossom will be a wonderful addition.
So go ahead try out making your own Greek honey and sesame bars and don’t forget to sent us your comments and photos on the comment section below!
The ancient Greek version of a power bar is “Pasteli”! Greek honey sesame bars is a snack made from honey and sesame seeds in only 10 minutes!
- 220g honey (7.5 oz.)
- 220g sesame seeds (7.5 oz.)
- a pinch of salt
- zest of 1 medium sized lemon
- To prepare this Greek honey sesame bars (Pasteli) recipe start by toasting the sesame seeds. Place a frying pan over high heat and add the sesame seeds. Toast them for 2-3 minutes until golden (not too brown). Remove the sesame seeds from the pan and set aside. Continue with the rest of the recipe quickly, so that the sesame seeds remain hot. Alternatively you can spread the sesame seeds in a pan and toast them in the oven at 180-190C (375F).
- In the same pan add the honey and bring to a boil, until it starts to foam. Add a pinch of salt and the toasted sesame seeds. Lower the heat to medium and stir constantly with a wooden spoon for about 3-5 minutes, until nicely coloured. Be careful not to burn the mixture.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the lemon zest and stir.
- Line a round pan (22cm/ 8.5 inch. diameter) with parchment paper and pour in the mixture. Be careful not to touch it, as it is very hot. Spread the mixture very well using a spoon.
- Let the pasteli cool down for about 20 minutes and them cut into portions. If you let it cool completely then it would be harder to cut into pieces.
Keywords: Greek honey sesame bars, Honey bar, Pasteli recipe