Looking for a super healthy and delicious traditional Greek spinach and rice recipe? Spanakorizo is a classic Greek vegetarian dish packed with abundant amounts of nutrients and best of all? Its super simple and easy to make!
- 1kg spinach, rinsed and stemmed (35 oz.)
- 200g rice white rice (7 oz.)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1/2 bunch dill, finely chopped
- 150g tinned chopped tomatoes (5.5 oz.) or 200g of fresh tomatoes, if in season.
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- To prepare this spanakorizo recipe (Greek spinach and rice), heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions, spring onions and leek and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the spinach and cook stirring for a few minutes, until wilted. Stir in the tomatoes, the tomato paste, a glass of hot water, the rice and season. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20-25 minutes, until the rice is tender. During cooking, stir the spanakorizo once in a while and check if the pan appears to be getting dry, and add some more hot water, if needed. Finish the spanakorizo with fresh chopped dill and cook for a few more minutes.
- Serve this traditional Greek spinach and rice (spanakorizo) with a squeeze of a lemon and top with crumbled feta. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 plate
- Calories: 199kcal
- Sugar: 2.2g
- Sodium: 416mg
- Fat: 14.7g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 15.7g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Spanakorizo recipe, Greek spinach and rice