Looking for a traditional Greek kolokithokeftedes (zucchini/ courgette balls) recipe? Find out how to make this Cretan feta and courgette dish from scratch!
- 1 kg zucchinis, grated (35 ounces)
- 1 red onion, grated
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsps fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup feta cheese, grated
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups powdered breadcrumbs (or 4 tbsps self raising flour))
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsps parsley, finely chopped
- oil for frying
- Use a grater to grate the zucchini and place them in a colander with some salt. Squeeze them with your hands to get rid of the excessive water. Leave them for 30 minutes and squeeze them again.
- Into a large bowl add all the other ingredients and mix well with your hands, until combined and the mixture is firm enough to make the balls. Add a little more flour if needed.
In a pan add enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan, and heat the oil into medium-high heat.
- Dip a tablespoon in some water and spoon out some of the mixture into the hot oil. Repeat this procedure until the surface off the pan is comfortably filled. You should dip the spoon in the water every time, so that the dough doesn’t stick on it.
- Fry the kolokithokeftedes for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until nicely colored. Place them on paper towel, to absorb the extra oil.
- A healthier alternative is to bake the balls. In that case preheat the oven at 180C, oil the bottom of a baking tray and form the balls with your hands. Take a small handful of the mixture and roll into a ball and then flatten into a patty. Place on the baking tray and form the rest of the balls. Brush the top of the ball with some olive oil and bake for 25 minutes. Halfway through cooking time flip the balls and put back to the oven.
- Serve hot or hot with some fresh cold yogurt aside.
- Serving Size: 1 medium fritter
- Calories: 175kcal
- Sugar: 2.4g
- Sodium: 513.2mg
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 17.5g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 8.6g
- Cholesterol: 47.7mg
Keywords: Kolokithokeftedes recipe, Greek courgette balls, Greek zucchini fritters, zucchini balls