A super easy, delicious shrimp saganaki recipe for you to recreate this simple and beloved traditional Greek appetizer from scratch in less than 20 minutes!
- 25 medium prawns
- 4 ripe, juicy tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- some hot chilli pepper, according to preferance
- 2 spring onions, sliced (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 60ml Greek drink Ouzo (1/4 of a cup)
- 2 tbsps fresh dill or parsley, chopped
- 200–250g feta cheese, crumbled or cubed (8 oz.)
- olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- a pinch of sweet paprika (optional)
- To prepare this Greek shrimp saganaki recipe start by peeling and cleaning the shrimps.
- Continue preparing the sauce. To prepare the sauce for this shrimp saganaki recipe, dice the fresh tomatoes in small cubes and let them strain in a colander, so that no excess water is added to the sauce.
- Begin with the sauce for the shrimp saganaki. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, add the chopped onion and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in the chopped garlic, chilli peppers and season with salt and and pepper. Sauté all the ingredients together for 1 more minute. Add the chopped tomatoes, cover with the lid, bring to the boil and let simmer for approx. 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens a little bit.
- In the meantime sauté the shrimps for this shrimp saganaki recipe. Season the shrimps with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add 3-4 tbsps olive oil. Add the shrimps, sauté for 1 minute and deglaze with the ouzo.
- Pour the sauce in the saucepan along with the shrimps and stir. Top the shrimp saganaki with the crumbled or cubed feta cheese, place the lid on and cook for 2 more minutes, until the feta slightly melts.
- Garnish the shrimp saganaki with chopped parsley or dill and serve while still hot. Enjoy this traditional Greek shrimp saganaki recipe with a cold glass of ouzo!
- Serving Size: 1 portion
- Calories: 260kcal
- Sugar: 4.8g
- Sodium: 840.5mg
- Fat: 10.3g
- Saturated Fat: 5.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 7.7g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 29.7g
- Cholesterol: 219.7mg
Keywords: Shrimp Saganaki, Greek Prawns recipe, Garides Saganaki