Crispy and perfectly seasoned fried calamari (kalamarakia tiganita) recipe! A favourite Greek meze that is served in every fish tavern (Psarotaverna) and you should really give it a try at home. Making your own crispy fried calamari rings is literally as easy as frying potatoes!
Lots of fried calamari recipes use batter for coating the calamari, but Greeks almost always go for the minimalistic approach. After all, when it comes to fried calamari less is more. So, some good old fashioned flour and seasoning mix will do the trick every single time!
Crispy fried calamari recipe – How to make the perfect fried calamari
When preparing such a simple and minimalistic dish like fried calamari, the secret is of course to use some good quality calamari to start with. First of all, prefer to cut the calamari slightly thicker slices, to be able to actually taste it. Slimmer rings look more elegant but with 1 cm slices there’s more calamari to get your teeth into!
Tip: Let the calamari dry on some paper towl before coating, but do not pat dry, as it will be more difficult for the flour to stick, which means less crunch.
The seasoning for the calamari is a matter of preference. Some salt and freshly ground pepper will be just amazing, but adding also fresh herbs, like oregano and spices, like paprika will surely lift the flavour. For coating using some semolina and bread flour instead of regular flour will really make a difference in the crunchiness of your fried calamari.
How to fry the calamari?
Use some clean oil for frying and heat it on medium high heat. The perfect temperature to cook the fried calamari is 170C. Check if your oil is ready by carefully dipping one of the calamari rings in; if it sizzles fiercely the oil is ready. Alternatively you can check by sprinkling just a small pinch of flour in the hot oil. If it starts bubbling then it’s ready. Hot oil can be really dangerous, so use a slooted spoon to carefully place the calamari inside the hot oil.
Not overcrowding the pan is vital for crispier results. If you add too many, the calamari will release water and the temperature of the oil will fall, resulting into not cooking properly.
Prepare this delicious Greek fried calamari recipe for your friends and family and serve as a delicious starter or main dish with a last minute squeeze of a lemon. Serve with Greek salad and Greek fries. Enjoy!
Crispy and perfectly seasoned fried calamari recipe (kalamarakia tiganita)! A favorite Greek meze that is served in every fish tavern (Psarotaverna) and you should really give it a try making it at home. Discover all the secrets behind this traditional delight here.
- 700g calamari (25 oz.)
- 100g bread flour (3.5 oz.)
- 50g semolina flour (1.5 oz.)
- 1 tbsp peppercorns (or ground pepper)
- 2 tbsps salt
- 1/2 tbsp paprika (optional)
- 1 tbsp oregano (optional)
- vegetable oil for frying
- To prepare this super easy fried calamari recipe, clean the calamari and wash thoroughly. Using a sharp knife cut the calamari in slices, approx. 1 cm each. This will create the rings, as seen in the picture below. Place the calamari rings on some paper towel to get ride of the excessive water.
- Prepare the seasoning for the fried calamari. In a blender add the seasoning and pulse until powdered. (Alternatively you can use a pestle.)
- In a large sandwich bag or tupperware add the flour and seasoning. Place in the sliced calamari and shake well to coat (you will need to do this in batches). Remove the calamari onto a plate, shaking of any excess flour.
- Into a medium sized frying pan pour enough vegetable oil to deep fry the calamari. Heat the oil to medium high heat until it begins to bubble. Test if the oil is hot enough by dipping one of the calamari rings in; if it sizzles the oil is ready. Fry the calamari in batches for about 2-3 minutes, until nicely golden.
- Remove the fried calamari using a slotted spoon and place on some paper towel to dry for 1-2 minutes. Have a taste and sprinkle with some more salt.
- Enjoy this delicious Greek fried calamari recipe with a last minute squeeze of a lemon.
- Serving Size: 1 portion
- Calories: 330kcal
- Sugar: 0.2g
- Sodium: 3566.6mg
- Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 33.6g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 32g
- Cholesterol: 407.8mg
Keywords: Calamari rings, Deep Fried Calamari recipe, Coating for fried calamari, Kalamarakia tiganita