Traditional Greek Salad recipe or just perfection in simplicity!
Take your taste buds to the refreshing flavours of the Mediterranean with every bite of this colourful Greek salad! This traditional Greek salad recipe (Horiatiki) is the brightest example of how Greek cuisine takes the simplest ingredients and with literally no effort transforms them into a finger licking dish! To make this traditional Greek salad recipe keep an eye on your ingredients: find some juicy tomatoes, crisp, fresh cucumber, creamy feta cheese, good quality extra virgin olive oil and some tangy black olives and you are done! So go ahead, make your own refreshing Greek salad with creamy feta cheese with this easy to follow Greek salad recipe and taste all the earthy flavours that characterise Greek cuisine in one dish.
The traditional Greek salad recipe
If you’ve been looking for a Greek salad recipe (Horiatiki) that actually tastes like the one served in Greece, then you have to try this authentic Greek salad recipe. A lot of Greek salad recipes include leafy greens, such as lettuce, cabbage, beets, radishes or even potatoes, while others suggest to coat with prepared dressings containing various herbs and seasonings. But the fact is that this kind of ‘Greek salad’ recipe is rarely found in Greece. A traditional Greek salad recipe (Horiatiki) will always (and only) include tomato, sliced cucumber, green pepper, sliced red onion, Kalamata olives and of course feta cheese. It must be seasoned with dried oregano and salt and dressed with good quality extra virgin olive oil and a splash of red wine vinegar. This is a traditional Greek salad; fresh, locally produced ingredients, simple and uncomplicated. Enjoy!Print
The traditional Greek salad recipe; healthy, simple and absolutely delicious! Find out how to make this Horiatiki (Xoriatiki) salad the traditional Greek way with this authentic recipe.
- 3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into rings
- 1 cucumber, pilled and sliced into thick half-moons
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 16 black olives
- 200g block feta cheese (7 ounces)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 of a cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- sea salt
- As said before, the secret to make a delicious Greek salad is in the ingredients: juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumber, creamy feta cheese, good quality extra virgin olive oil and some tangy black olives will really make a difference.
- To make this Greek salad recipe (Horiatiki), start by preparing your vegetables. Wash thoroughly and strain the vegetables. Cut the tomatoes into wedges, slice the onion into thin rings, cut the cucumber in thick slices and place everything in a large bowl. Don’t forget to add the olives as well.
- Season with salt and pour over the extra virgin olive oil and vinegar. Toss everything together, so that the flavours mix. Be careful not to add too much salt, as the feta cheese and the olives are salty enough.
- Greek salad (Horiatiki) is always served with feta cheese on top, a drizzle of olive oil and dried oregano. Enjoy your delicious Greek salad as a side dish or as a light summer meal with lots of crusty bread aside!
- Serving Size: 1 portion
- Calories: 206kcal
- Sugar: 4.8g
- Sodium: 399.6mg
- Fat: 17.6g
- Saturated Fat: 6.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 8.2g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 29.7mg
Keywords: Traditional Greek Salad recipe, Horiatiki salad