Extra crispy, extra golden and extra delicious! These Greek homemade Greek fries recipe will surely become your newest favorite! A super simple recipe that will elevate your usual chips to a whole new level!
It all started when I was in the process of making a Greek feast with friends and family. Greek salad was ready, and so were the gyros and pitas. The smell of the souvlaki grilling was making everybody super hungry. But something was missing.. Fries! Some good old fashioned fries would be good enough but not today!
So I went ahead and made these delicious Greek fries with a twist!! What makes these fries “Greek”? Well nothing else than the earthy flavors used for the topping and seasoning; Greek ingredients that you will find in every mom’s kitchen. So let’s get started!
Greek fries recipe – Fried vs. baked
To prepare this Greek fries (chips) recipe you can either fry the potatoes or go healthier and bake them in the oven. Baking the potatoes may be a little more time consuming but is much healthier and if you bake them the right way they will truly reward you.
If you choose to bake your Greek fries try spreading some olive oil in the baking tray and pre-heat it in the oven, before adding the potatoes. This will stop the potatoes from sticking on the baking tray, which is a very common pitfall for when preparing baked fries. Also make sure to coat the potatoes well with olive oil to help them get that golden, crispy texture.
If you choose to fry your Greek fries they will be a little less healthy but equally (or even more) delicious! You can fry them once or double fry them for crispier results.
The secret in my delicious Greek fries recipe is nothing else than the topping! Go and get yourself some good quality Greek feta cheese, which will give them deliciously a bold flavour. Also add some chopped red onions and juicy tomatoes for that extra mediterranean twist.
Those key ingredients are very flavoursome on their own so remember to keep the seasoning sparse with just a sprinkle of dried oregano and a last minute squeeze of a lemon. Be careful if you choose to add extra salt, as feta cheese is already salty enough and remember you can’t undo an over seasoned dish!
So go ahead give this baked Greek fries recipe try and enjoy with some good old fashioned chicken souvlaki aside! Oh and you can always read this delicious recipe in Greek here Τραγανές Πατάτες Τηγανητές Φούρνου
Homemade Baked Greek Fries recipe with feta cheese
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 portions 1x
- Category: Side
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Greek
This extra crispy, extra golden and super delicious Greek homemade Greek fries recipe will surely become your newest favorite! A super simple recipe that will elevate your usual chips to a whole new level!
- 5 Russet potatoes, cut into strips
- 150g feta cheese (5 oz.)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- chopped parsley for garnish
- olive oil
- vegetable oil for frying (optional)
- To make this super easy Greek fries recipe, start by preparing the potatoes. Wash and peel the potatoes and cut into strips. At first slice the potatoes lengthwise into 1/2 cm (1/4 inch) slices and then cut each slice into strips. Place the potatoes in a large bowl with plenty of water to cover them.
- Now it’s time to make a decision. Greek fries can be either fried or baked (for a healthier version).
- If you choose to bake your Greek fries, then layer a large baking tray with parchment paper and pour in 2-3 tbsps of olive oil. Place the tray in the oven and preheat at 200C.
- As soon as your oven is well preheated, drain and dry the potatoes and remove the baking tray from the oven. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet and season with salt and dried oregano. Toss the potatoes around to get them coated with the oil (add some more oil if necessary) and layer them evenly on the baking sheet.
- Bake the potatoes for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on size, until golden and crispy.
- For the topping of the Greek fries use crumbled feta cheese, chopped red onions, and chopped tomatoes. Sprinkle with dried oregano and chopped parsley and squeeze over just a little bit lemon juice.
- Enjoy your Greek fries while still warm with some gyros and tzatziki sauce!
- Serving Size: 1 portion
- Calories: 255kcal
- Sugar: 3.2g
- Sodium: 627.2mg
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 35.1g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 7.7g
- Cholesterol: 22.3mg
Keywords: Greek fries recipe, Greek Fries seasoning, Baked fries with feta
Reading your recipes and watching the videos is making my mouth water and I will be following your recipes very soon you also make them very easy to follow thank you 👌
Your welcome Trisha! Hope you find many recipes that you enjoy :)!!