These lovely homemade potato balls will definitely become the talk of your next party! Fluffy on the inside and with a wonderful golden brown crust on the outside, these mashed potato balls are pure comfort! Mashed potatoes, salty melty cheese and fresh herbs mingled, coated with breadcrumbs and deep fried to golden perfection. Indulge yourself to this little sin!
The key for these delicious potato balls is to make the potatoes in advance and chill them, until firm enough to be able to form them into balls. Dredge the potato balls in flour, egg and breadcrumbs and fry until golden and crispy. The secret for the perfect potato balls is to use some salty grated cheese, like kefalograviera or kefalotyri for extra flavour. Enjoy!
Got a comment or suggestion? Drop us a note in the comments section below. And as always, don’t forget to share with your friends and family!Print
Fluffiest Potato Balls Recipe! (Patatokeftedes)
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 25 potato balls 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Fried
- Cuisine: Greek
- Diet: Vegetarian
These lovely homemade potato balls will definitely become the talk of your next party! Fluffy on the inside and with a wonderful golden brown crust on the outside, these mashed potato balls are pure comfort!
For the potato balls/ patatokeftedes
- 1kg potatoes (35 oz.)
- 100g kefalotyri cheese, or Regato or any hard yellow cheese, grated (35 oz.)
- 2 tbsps chopped parsley or dill
- a pinch dry mint (optional)
- 1 egg
- salt and greshly ground pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 egg, beaten
- 200g flour (7 oz.)
- 200g powdered Breadcrumbs (7 oz.)
- To prepare this potato balls recipe, start by washing thoroughly the potatoes. Peel the potatoes and place them in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Lower the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for about 30 minutes. (For this potato balls recipe the potatoes need to boil, until very tender.)
- Drain the potatoes in a colander, place them in a large bowl and mash them, using a fork or a masher. Add the rest of the ingredients, season with salt and pepper and blend to combine. Cover the bowl with some plastic wrap and place the mixture in the fridge for 1-2 hours, until firm enough to form the potato balls.
- Form the mixture into little potato balls (this mixture is enough for 25 potato balls) and dredge in some flour shaking off any excess. Dip them in the egg and dredge them in powdered breadcrumbs. Fridge the potato balls for 1 more hour.
- Fry the potato balls in a non-sticking pan with plenty of oil, until nicely colored and drain them on some kitchen paper. (Tips: Heat the oil until very hot and fry the potato balls in batches. If the surface of the pan is overcrowded then the temperature of the oil will decrease and your potato balls will not be crispy any more.)
- Serve the potato balls while still warm with some mustard (or mustard-mayo sauce) as a delicious starter. Enjoy!
Keywords: potato balls recipe, Greek patatokeftedes
Love the idea of adding mint ….what about a “shake ” of garlic salt.