Get the party started with this amazing Greek-style fried cheese ball recipe! Melting, oozing on the inside and with a wonderful golden brown crust on the outside, this fried cheese ball recipe is pure comfort! I
n Greece ‘Tirokroketes’ (fried cheese balls) is a very popular meze one can find in almost every tavern and is with no doubt my absolute favourite cheese appetiser (along with cheese saganaki!). So I was more than excited to finally come up with a fried cheese ball recipe that tastes even better than the ones I ate at my favourite Greek taverns!
So go ahead, try out this super easy fried cheese ball recipe and indulge yourself to that little sin..
Fried cheese ball recipe – How to make the perfect, melty cheese balls!
Although this Greek fried cheese ball recipe is really simple to prepare, in order to achieve that beautiful crispy golden brown crust with the amazingly melty cheese filling, you have to pay attention to the details. First of all it’s best to make the mixture for the cheese balls in advance and let it stand in the fridge for 45 minutes, until firm enough to be able to form the mixture into balls.
For extra melty texture and flavour, this fried cheese ball recipe calls for three different kinds of cheese: tangy flavoured Greek feta cheese, soft and sweet Gouda and salty mature cheddar cheese. Feel free to improvise and add any kind of herbs you like; fresh dill or mint, will surely give a Mediterranean twist on your plate.
When it comes to coating less is more; so this fried cheese ball uses plain good old-fashioned flour. Dredge the cheese balls in flour, shaking off any excess; this will form a light crust on your cheese balls.
Fried cheese ball recipe – How to fry your cheese balls to perfection
And now for the most important part: the frying itself! Use some clean oil for frying and heat it on medium high heat, just before it starts smoking. Check if your oil is ready by sprinkling just a small pinch of flour in the oil; if it starts bubbling the oil is ready. Hot oil can be really dangerous, so use a slotted spoon to carefully place the cheese balls inside the hot oil.
To achieve the perfect result, deep fry the cheese balls in a single layer. Not overcrowding the pan is vital for crispier results. If you add too many, the temperature of the oil will decrease, resulting into absorbing too much oil and becoming soggy.
Place the cheese balls sparsely in the pan, without sticking one to another. Turn the cheese balls often in the pan and adjust the heat to avoid burning until they have a formed a rich golden brown crust.
So go ahead give this fried cheese ball recipe a try and amaze your friends and family. Enjoy your cheese balls while still hot with a last minute squeeze of a lemon! Oh and you can always read this delicious recipe in Greek here Τραγανές Τυροκροκέτες με φέτα συνταγή.
Get the party started with these amazing Greek-style fried cheese ball recipe! Melty on the inside and with a wonderful golden brown crust on the outside! Have a bite and let the juices flow in your mouth.
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled (3.5 ounces)
- 130g gouda, grated (4.5 ounces)
- 100g Mature Cheddar cheese, Regato or Graviera (3.5 ounces)
- 1 egg and 1 egg white
- 40g self raising flour (1.5 ounces)
- a splash of milk
- freshly ground pepper
- all-purpose flour for dredging
- vegetable oil for frying
- To prepare these delicious fried cheese ball recipe, add all the ingredients into a medium bowl, season well with freshly ground pepper and blend to combine.
- Cover the bowl with some plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 45 minutes. This will help the mixture for the cheese balls to firm up a bit and make it easier to roll into balls.
- Form the mixture into little cheese balls (this mixture is enough for 14-15 cheese balls) and dredge in some flour shaking off any excess.
- Fry the cheese balls in a non-sticking pan with plenty of oil, until nicely colored. Place the fried cheese balls on some kitchen paper to absorb the extra oil. (Tips: Heat the oil until very hot and fry them in batches. If the surface of the pan is overcrowded then the temperature of the oil will decrease and your cheese balls will not be crispy any more!)
- Serve the cheese balls while still hot with a squeeze of a lemon. Enjoy!
Keywords: fried cheese balls recipe, how to make cheese balls, Greek cheese balls, tirokroketes