If you just love potatoes this rustic Greek potato stew is a definite must try! This classic Greek potato stew recipe (Patates Yahni) is the brightest example of how Greek cuisine takes the simplest ingredients and transforms them effortlessly into a finger licking dish! Fluffy potatoes coated with olive oil, mingled with fresh juicy tomatoes and flavored with sweet onions, garlic and fresh herbs to form an amazing vegetarian dish..
Patates Yahni (Greek potato stew) is a traditional Greek recipe which falls under the category of Greek dishes called “Ladera”, meaning dishes prepared only with olive oil, with no addition of other fat. So make sure to use some good quality extra virgin olive oil, which will definitely lift the flavour.
One can find many variations of this traditional Greek dish, with the most popular being this classic version and the potato stew with peas and carrots. Although not very common in Greece, adding some good quality Kalamata olives and vegetable stock in the potato stew gives a really deep unique tone. So feel free to experiment!
Enjoy this simply charming, extra comforting Greek potato stew with salty crumbled feta cheese on top, black olives and crusty bread to mop up every single drop of that delicious sauce! Or serve with some delicious tzatziki or vegan tzatziki sauce as a delicious refreshing side! Or serve this as a side to my delicious moussaka or vegan moussaka with lentils dishes!
If you love stews, then my delicious beef stifado will also become your favourite!Print
Country-style Greek Potato stew recipe (Patates Yahni)
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 portions 1x
- Category: Sides
- Method: Stew
- Cuisine: Greek
If you just love potatoes this rustic Greek potato stew recipe is a definite must try! This traditional recipe uses potatoes, garlic, tomatoes, onions and extra virgin and good quality olive oil to make this super simple finger licking Greek dish!
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2.5 cm chunks (approx. 1.5 kg)
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 ripe tomatoes, peeled and grated
- 1/2 a cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2–3 tbsps chopped parsley
- To prepare this delicious Greek potato stew recipe (patates yahni), start by preparing your vegetables. Peel and cut the potatoes into 2.5 cm chunks, finely chop (or grate) the onion and garlic and set aside. Peel the tomatoes and grate. You may find it easier to peel the tomatoes if you blanch them first for 1 minute in hot water. (For this Greek potato stew recipe, it is best to use fresh tomatoes rather than canned.)
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and onion and sauté until softened. Stir in the garlic and sauté for 1 more minute. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 more minute.
- In the same pot add the grated tomatoes, the potatoes, sprinkle with chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper. Add just enough warm water to cover the potatoes (whilst stirring ocassionally) and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down to medium, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Greek potato stew (Patates Yahni) is best served while still warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 portion
- Calories: 282kcal
- Sugar: 4.3g
- Sodium: 910.7mg
- Fat: 14.3g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 36.9g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Patates Yahni, Greek Potato Stew recipe