For a cold winter’s day; hearty, aromatic, warming Greek beef soup (Kreatosoupa) with vegetables and potatoes for the whole family to enjoy!
- 1 kg beef, cut in portions (35 oz.)
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut in slices
- 2–3 sticks celery, cut in slices
- 2 white onions, finely chopped
- 2–3 bay leaves
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in cubes
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- To prepare this Greek beef soup recipe, first cut the beef into 5cm (2 inches) pieces.
- Heat a large pot over high heat. Add the olive oil and beef and sauté, until nicely coloured.
- Add the finely chopped onions and carrots and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Pour in the same pot approx. 1.5L of water. (The water should cover the ingredients.)
- Add the celery, potatoes, bay leaves, thyme and beef cube. Stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Place the lid on, turn the heat down and let the beef soup simmer for approx. 2 hours. Check once in a while to remove the foam from the surface with a spoon. Add more water if needed as it evaporates.
- After the beef is done add the lemon juice, lemon zest, a splash of olive oil and season to taste.
- Serve while still warm with a slice of lemon and chopped thyme. Enjoy!
Keywords: Greek beef soup, kreatospoupa recipe, Beef soup with potatoes and vegetables