The perfect dish for a cold winter’s day! Hearty, simple, aromatic and extra warming Greek beef soup (Kreatosoupa) with vegetables and potatoes for the whole family to enjoy!
As the winter is here, I find it very hard to resist every recipe that includes the word “soup”. One of my favourite soups is Greek lemon chicken soup (kotosoupa avgolemono), which I prepare not very often, I admit, as it requires a little bit more time and effort. But still is my number one option for when I have enough time.
My best alternative for when I crave for an effortless soup is this classic Greek beef soup recipe, which needs 5 minutes preparation and few ingredients, making it a staple in my household.
Greek cuisine also includes lots of vegetarian soups recipes, like Greek bean soup (fasolada), Greek lentil soup (Fakes soupa) and Greek chickpea soup (revithia soupa). They all have a very special place in my heart, bringing back wintery childhood memories.
Greek beef soup recipe variations
As I said before, this beef soup is my number one choice for an effortless whole family meal. There are many variations of Greek Beef soup. Some of them may include rice and egg lemon sauce or orzo and tomato sauce. But with this recipe I try it to keep it simple, so that you can enjoy a bowl of nice, warm beef soup any day of the week.
Using as base ingredients carrots, celery and onions for extra flavour and potatoes to make it more filling, and finishing with lemon juice, zest, olive oil and fresh thyme. You can try experimenting adding any kind of vegetables and herbs you like, like fennel, leek, fresh oregano or even spice it up a bit, using some chili flakes.
Serve this traditional Greek beef soup (kreatosoupa) while still steaming hot, with a last minute squeeze of a lemon, a splash of extra virgin oil and fresh thyme. And of course some crusty village bread aside! Enjoy!
If you love a hearty soup as much as I do then these recipes below are perfect for a cold winter’s day!
- Traditional Greek Meatball Soup (Giouvarlakia/ Youvarlakia) In Egg-Lemon Sauce Recipe
- Traditional Magiritsa Recipe (Greek Easter Soup)
- Greek lemon Chicken Soup recipe (Kotosoupa Avgolemono)
- Greek Chickpea Soup Recipe (Revithia)
- Traditional Greek Bean Soup Recipe (Fasolada)
- Greek Lentil Soup Recipe (Fakes Soupa)
For a cold winter’s day; hearty, aromatic, warming Greek beef soup (Kreatosoupa) with vegetables and potatoes for the whole family to enjoy!
- 1 kg beef, cut in portions (35 oz.)
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut in slices
- 2–3 sticks celery, cut in slices
- 2 white onions, finely chopped
- 2–3 bay leaves
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in cubes
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- To prepare this Greek beef soup recipe, first cut the beef into 5cm (2 inches) pieces.
- Heat a large pot over high heat. Add the olive oil and beef and sauté, until nicely coloured.
- Add the finely chopped onions and carrots and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Pour in the same pot approx. 1.5L of water. (The water should cover the ingredients.)
- Add the celery, potatoes, bay leaves, thyme and beef cube. Stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Place the lid on, turn the heat down and let the beef soup simmer for approx. 2 hours. Check once in a while to remove the foam from the surface with a spoon. Add more water if needed as it evaporates.
- After the beef is done add the lemon juice, lemon zest, a splash of olive oil and season to taste.
- Serve while still warm with a slice of lemon and chopped thyme. Enjoy!
Keywords: Greek beef soup, kreatospoupa recipe, Beef soup with potatoes and vegetables