A hearty and delicious traditional Greek recipe perfect for a cold winter’s day! Youvarlakia or giouvarlakia is a famous Greek meatball soup, which is full of Mediterranean flavors, juicy meatballs and finished off with a delicious egg lemon sauce (avgolemono)..
Youvarlakia soup – A traditional Greek wintery recipe
This Greek meatball soup (youvarlakia or giouvarlakia soup) is a classic delicacy made basically with meatballs (youvarlakia) and rice. It’s sounds really simple, but it’s simplicity of preparation and presentation, which is part of the Greek cooking, takes nothing out of it’s exquisite taste!
The secret ingredient for this extra creamy Greek recipe for youvarlakia soup is the Avgolemono – an egg lemon sauce that is often added in Greek recipes and acts as a thickening agent, giving this soup a unique texture and flavour.
How to make the perfect Avgolemono for your Youvarlakia Soup
This Greek meatball soup recipe for youvarlakia includes the traditional recipe for preparing an egg lemon sauce (avgolemono). Although the basic Greek recipe is relatively simple, my experience has shown me that it can be really tricky.
If you have ever tried making youvarlakia soup or any other Greek recipe which includes Avgolemono before, you must know that lots of things can go wrong leading to a disaster.
The most common mistake is that the Avgolemono – egg lemon sauce curdles and gets lumpy. To prevent you from making the same mistakes I have put together this short and simple guide to the perfect egg-lemon sauce and help you succeed every single time.
Serve this delicious Greek meatball soup (youvarlakia), while still warm with some sprinkled parsley as garnish and some crusty Greek bread to dig in all that delicious sauce!
If you love a hearty soup as much as I do then these recipes below are perfect for a cold winter’s day!
- Greek Beef Soup Recipe (Kreatosoupa)
- Traditional Magiritsa Recipe (Greek Easter Soup)
- Greek lemon Chicken Soup recipe (Kotosoupa Avgolemono)
- Greek Chickpea Soup Recipe (Revithia)
- Traditional Greek Bean Soup Recipe (Fasolada)
- Greek Lentil Soup Recipe (Fakes Soupa)
Want to make a traditional Greek Meatball Soup in Egg-lemon sauce (Youvarlakia Avgolemono)? This is a hearty and delicious dish, perfect for a cold winter’s day!
For the meatballs (youvarlakia)
- 500g lean minced beef (18 ounces)
- ¼ of a cup long-grain rice (not boiled)
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- ½ carrot, grated (optional)
- 3 tbsps fresh dill, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- a pinch of coriander
- freshly ground pepper
For the egg lemon sauce (Avgolemono)
- 2 eggs
- juice of 2 lemons
- To prepare this Greek meatball soup, start by making the meatballs (youvarlakia). Place all the meatball ingredients into a large bowl, knead the mixture squeezing the ingredients with your hand until smooth. Leave the mixture to rest in the fridge for 15 minutes. This will prevent the youvarlakia to break up when boiled. Form the meatballs (youvarlakia) and set them aside.
- Pour into a large pan 2 ½ cups of water and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and gently add the meatballs (youvarlakia) in the water, put the lid back on and cook for 20-25 minutes. (The water should be enough to cover the meatballs, so add some more warm water if needed)
- To prepare the egg lemon sauce for the Greek meatball soup, crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk. Add the lemon juice and whisk well. Add into the bowl a ladle of hot soup and whisk quickly. Add one more ladle and whisk again until combined.
- Stir in the egg lemon sauce into the youvarlakia soup and cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat, until warm but not boiling.
- Serve this extra warming Greek meatball soup, while still hot with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
- Make sure that you do not cover any left overs until they have cooled; the sauce may curdle otherwise!!
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 337kcal
- Sugar: 2.3g
- Sodium: 734.1mg
- Fat: 14.6g
- Saturated Fat: 4.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.6g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 16.7g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 33.9g
- Cholesterol: 214.5mg
Keywords: Youvarlakia recipe, Giouvarlakia Avgolemono, Greek Meatball Soup