A super easy Greek village bread recipe (Horiatiko psomi) that will never fail you! All the secrets for a perfectly baked bread; a homely version for all the bread lovers.
- 1 kg bread flour (35oz.)
- 630ml lukewarm water (21 oz.)
- 25g fresh yeast (0.8 oz.)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp salt
- thin semolina
- To prepare this easy Greek bread recipe, start by adding in a large bowl the water, yeast and sugar. Use a fork to completely dissolve the yeast in the water. Set aside for about 5 -10 minutes to activate the yeast. Note: if you don’t have fresh yeast substitute for dried – just use one third of the quantity stated.
- Add half the flour a little bit at time whilst mixing with a spoon. Add the olive oil and salt and the rest of the flour and mix with a spoon until all the flour has been absorbed. At this point the dough should be sticky on your hand.
- Knead the dough a little bit with your hands until it’s elastic and form into a ball. Place the dough inside a lightly oiled large bowl and cover with cling film.
- Let the dough rise at room temperature for 10-12 hours (or overnight).
- Deflate the dough. Sprinkle semolina on a large working surface and transfer the dough on the surface. Using a sharp knife divide the dough in 2 equal pieces. (This Greek Bread recipe makes 2 loafs of bread).
- Knead each piece of the dough with your hands just enough to have a nice and smooth dough that doesn’t stick too much on your hands (for about 3 minutes). Sprinkle the dough with semolina (2-3 tbsps) when kneading the dough.
- Form 2 round loafs and place inside a casserole dish or clay pot with a lid. Score the top of each loaf using a sharp knife. Place the lid on the casserole dish.
- Preheat the oven at 250C/ 480F. Bake for 20 minutes with the lid on and another 15 minutes or so with the lid removed, until nicely coloured and crusty.
- Serving Size: 1 slice of bread
- Calories: 283kcal
- Sugar: 0.5g
- Sodium: 749.2mg
- Fat: 3.2g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 53.4g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Greek bread recipe, Greek village bread, horiatiko psomi