This traditional Greek green beans recipe (Fasolakia giaxni) will amaze you! Prepare these green beans the authentic Greek way with some sweet onions and fresh, juicy tomatoes, creating an all time favorite vegetarian dish.
- 1250g green beans, trimmed (45 oz.)
- 3/4 of a cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 750g ripe tomatoes, grated (27 oz.)
- a pinch of sugar
- 2 tbsps chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- To prepare this traditional Greek green beans recipe, start by washing thoroughly the green beans. Drain them in a colander and set aside.
- Heat half the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until transculent and tender. Stir in the garlic, the grated tomatoes, the rest of the olive oil and a pinch of sugar and bring to the boil. The traditional recipe for Greek green beans calls for fresh ripe tomatoes, but if you like you can substitute with canned chopped tomatoes, or Passata tomato juice.
- Add the green beans and blend well, so that the green beans are coated with the olive oil and the tomatoes. Turn the heat down, cover with the lid and simmer for 40- 45 minutes, until the beans are soft and most the juices have evaporated. During cooking, check out if the pan appears to be getting dry and add a little bit hot water if needed.
- Towards the end of cooking time season with salt and pepper and stir in the chopped parsley.
- Serve the Greek green beans (fasolakia giaxni) warm or at room temperature with salty crumbled feta cheese and lots of Kalamata olives. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 plate
- Calories: 342kcal
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 408.2mg
- Fat: 28.7g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 23.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 22.9g
- Fiber: 7.6g
- Protein: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Greek Green Beans recipe, Fasolakia Giaxni Ladera, Greek beans in Tomato Sauce, Stewed Green Beans