Hearty, healthy and bursting with fresh and vibrant colors and flavors. This traditional Greek green beans recipe (Fasolakia giaxni) will certainly amaze you! Green beans, sweet onions and fresh, juicy tomatoes cooked the authentic Greek way, creating an all time favorite vegetarian dish.
One can find many variations of this traditional Greek dish, with the most popular being this classic version and the Greek green beans with potatoes and sometimes zucchinis (courgettes). So feel free to experiment by adding different types of vegetables.
How to make traditional Greek Green beans (Fasolakia)?
Greek green beans (fasolakia) are cooked with a basic Greek cooking teqnique, called “Giaxni”, which means ‘steamy’. ‘Giaxni’ is a very popular technique used in different kinds of traditional Greek recipes, which may include meat, fish or vegetables and cooked in a large pan.
To prepare this Greek green beans recipe (fasolakia giaxni), the onions are first sautéed, until tender and sweet and the beans are simmered in a tomato based sauce, until all the flavors mingle, and garnished with chopped parsley.
This traditional Greek green beans recipe falls under the category of Greek dishes called “Ladera”, meaning Greek dishes prepared only with olive oil, with no addition of other fat. So make sure to use some good quality extra virgin olive oil, which will give its own, unique taste to this dish!
Enjoy this delicious traditional Greek green beans dish (fasolakia giaxni) as a hearty vegetarian meal or as a delicious side dish. Don’t forget to garnish with some salty, crumbled Greek feta cheese on top!Print
This traditional Greek green beans recipe (Fasolakia giaxni) will amaze you! Prepare these green beans the authentic Greek way with some sweet onions and fresh, juicy tomatoes, creating an all time favorite vegetarian dish.
- 1250g green beans, trimmed (45 oz.)
- 3/4 of a cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 750g ripe tomatoes, grated (27 oz.)
- a pinch of sugar
- 2 tbsps chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- To prepare this traditional Greek green beans recipe, start by washing thoroughly the green beans. Drain them in a colander and set aside.
- Heat half the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until transculent and tender. Stir in the garlic, the grated tomatoes, the rest of the olive oil and a pinch of sugar and bring to the boil. The traditional recipe for Greek green beans calls for fresh ripe tomatoes, but if you like you can substitute with canned chopped tomatoes, or Passata tomato juice.
- Add the green beans and blend well, so that the green beans are coated with the olive oil and the tomatoes. Turn the heat down, cover with the lid and simmer for 40- 45 minutes, until the beans are soft and most the juices have evaporated. During cooking, check out if the pan appears to be getting dry and add a little bit hot water if needed.
- Towards the end of cooking time season with salt and pepper and stir in the chopped parsley.
- Serve the Greek green beans (fasolakia giaxni) warm or at room temperature with salty crumbled feta cheese and lots of Kalamata olives. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 plate
- Calories: 342kcal
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 408.2mg
- Fat: 28.7g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 23.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 22.9g
- Fiber: 7.6g
- Protein: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Greek Green Beans recipe, Fasolakia Giaxni Ladera, Greek beans in Tomato Sauce, Stewed Green Beans
Recipe image gallery: