The perfect dish for a cold winter’s day! ‘Kotosoupa Avgolemono’ is a hearty and delicious classic Greek lemon chicken soup, bursting with Mediterranean flavours.
- 1 chicken (1-1.2 kg/ 35-40 ounces)
- 1 red onion, peeled
- 5 cups (1.2 L) of water
- 150–200g short-grain rice, like Arborio (6–7 ounces)
- 2 large eggs
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 carrots (optional)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- To prepare this traditional Greek lemon chicken soup, place your chicken in a deep pot. Push the chicken with your hands down to the bottom of the pan, add the whole onion, the carrot, pour in the water and season. The water should be enough to cover the chicken. Place on high heat, put the lid on and bring to the boil.
- When the chicken starts to boil, turn the heat down and boil the chicken for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. The chicken is ready when the meat can be removed easily from the bones. While the chicken boils, some white foam will probably surface on the water. Remove the foam with a slotted spoon.
- Proceed to pre soak your rice. While the chicken is cooking, rinse your rice and add it in a bowl and cover it with some water. Let it stand for 30 minutes. Using a fine colander, drain the water and set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and strain the broth. You should have about 1 litre of broth left. If it has reduced a lot, add some water. Add the hot broth in another pot, add the rice and season with salt and pepper and boil, until done.
- While the rice is being cooked, prepare your chicken. Pull the chicken meat from the bones and discard the skin. Shred the meat into bite sized chunks.
- To prepare the egg lemon sauce for this Greek lemon chicken soup, crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk, until foamy; add the lemon juice and whisk again. Add into the bowl a ladle of hot soup and whisk quickly. Add one more ladle and whisk again, so that the eggs gradually warm up and cook gently. Pour the egg mixture back into the pot, whilst constantly stirring so your eggs do not curdle. Then put the lid on and set it aside for 3-4 minutes.
- To assemble and serve your chicken soup, ladle the soup into your bowls, top with the diced chicken and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper or paprika. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 277kcal
- Sugar: 2.3g
- Sodium: 376mg
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 25.2g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 31.5g
- Cholesterol: 137mg
Keywords: Kotosoupa Avgolemono, Greek Lemon Chicken Soup, Traditional Avgolemono Soup