All you need to take your chicken to the next level is a simple yet full of Mediterranean flavours marinade! And I have just the perfect Greek marinade for chicken for you to try!
For Greek chicken marinade
- 90ml extra virgin olive oil (1/3 cup)
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt (or the juice of 1 lemon)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper
- 500g chicken thighs, breasts, or other chicken pieces, skin on or off (1 lb 1 1/2 oz)
- In a large bowl or ziplock bag combine the oil, lemon zest, garlic cloves, peeled and crushed, Greek yogurt (or the juice of the lemon, if you don’t have any Greek yogurt to hand), dried oregano, honey, red wine vinegar, salt and plenty of black pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Add your choice of chicken pieces and marinate in the fridge for at least two hours, but preferably overnight.
- In the oven: In a 200 degrees (390 fahrenheit) oven roast the chicken pieces for 20-30 minutes depending on their size (40 minutes for bone in chicken thighs) until the meat is cooked through. If the pieces still have their skin, finish them under a hot grill if needed to get nice crispy skin and a good level of caramelisation.
- On a griddle pan or barbecue: Cook on a direct heat until the meat is caramelised before moving to the edge of the pan or an area of indirect heat to cook through. We do not recommend the griddle pan method, only the barbecue for skin on or bone in pieces of chicken, though skin on, bone in chicken thighs can be browned in the pan before being transferred to the oven to cook through.
Keywords: greek marinade for chicken, greek yogurt marinade for chicken, greek lemon marinade for chicken