Crispy, juicy and absolutely delicious! Our very best traditional homemade Greek chicken gyro recipe with fluffy pita breads and creamy tzatziki sauce for you to recreate this authentic Greek delight from scratch!
Souvlaki with gyro is one of the most popular street foods in Greece ( skewers / suvlaki / suflaki ), that is known and loved around the world. The traditional souvlaki with chicken gyro (yiros) recipe is actually a pita bread sandwich, filled with lots of spicy chicken, fresh juicy tomatoes, crunchy slices of onion and cooling tzatziki sauce. Simply irresistible! Souvlaki stands for “meat-on-a-skewer”, however the majority of Greeks and especially those from Athens call any type of pita wrapped meat a souvlaki, specifying the type of meat and method of roasting separately. For example Souvlaki with pork Gyros or Souvlaki with Chicken Skewers etc.
Homemade Greek chicken Gyro marinade
The most important step in making this traditional chicken gyro recipe is nothing else but the marinade! For this chicken gyro recipe, the chicken is first marinated with onions and peppers along with Greek herbs and spices, to soak up all the wonderful Mediterranean flavours and then baked on a spit at high temperature, to get all crunchy and nicely coloured. Marinading your chicken gyro in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours will allow the aromas to infuse the gyro meat and give it the desired flavours.
How to Serve Chicken gyro the traditional Greek way
The best way to serve chicken gyro is nothing other than wrapped in a delicious traditional Greek pita. Finding the original Greek pita can be quite challenging as most supermarkets stock only the arabian style ones but you can most likely find them at your local Greek deli or amazon (here and here). However as we all know, nothing compares to home-made, so you can also make your own homemade pita bread with this super easy recipe. Of course tzatziki is the preferred sauce to garnish your chicken gyro and we have included one below. Don’t forget to season with some salt and paprika, sweet or spicy if you like an extra kick. Most Greeks enjoy their traditional Greek chicken gyro souvlaki with some potato chips so feel free to try adding some as well.
Prepare this super easy Greek chicken gyro recipe for your friends and enjoy over some cold beer!
The best homemade Greek chicken gyro recipe with fluffy pita breads and creamy tzatziki sauce for you to recreate this authentic Greek delight from scratch!
For the chicken gyro marinade
- 800g/ 28 oz. boneless chicken thighs (or mixed thighs and breasts)
- 1 onion cut into rings
- 1 red pepper cut into rings
- 1/3 of a cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsps smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- salt and freshly ground pepper
For the tzatziki sauce
- 1 cucumber
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 of a cup olive oil
- 500g of yogurt (18 ounces)
- 1–2 tbsps of red wine vinegar
- a pinch of salt
- 8 pita breads
- olive oil
- 1–2 tsps dried oregano
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- fried potatoes (optional)
- romaine (cos) lettuce (optional)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
For the chicken gyro
- To prepare this chicken gyro recipe, start by preparing the marinade for the gyro. In a large bowl, combine marinade ingredients and stir well.
- On a cutting board, place a piece of plastic wrap over the chicken thighs and pound until about 1 1/2 cm thick with a meat mallet or heavy pan.
- In another large bowl combine chicken thighs and marinade, stirring well to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to one day.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Skewer the chicken thighs individually on a spit (make sure to skewer them pretty tight). In between the chicken pieces skewer the onion and peppers.
- Bake for about 1- 1 and 1/2 hour, until internal temperature reaches 165°F (75°C)
- Let it rest for about 8 minutes and then carve slices with a sharp knife.
For the tzatziki sauce
- In the meantime prepare the tzatziki sauce for the chicken gyro. Pour in a blender the olive oil and grated garlic and blend until combined.
- Remove the skin and seeds of the cucumber and grate it into a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and leave aside for 10 minutes. Wrap the grated cucumber in a towel and squeeze, in order to get rid of the excess water.
- In a bowl, add the cucumber, the blended garlic and oil, the yogurt, 1-2 tbsps of red wine vinegar, a pinch of salt and blend, until the ingredients are combined.
- Store the tzatziki sauce in the fridge and always serve cold.
- Prepare the pita breads. Preheat the oven to 250C. Use a cooking brush to oil the pita breads on both sides and season with salt and oregano. Place a large oven tray (upside down) at the bottom of the oven and place the pita breads on top of the tray. Bake for 2-3 minutes.
- Chicken gyro is usually served wrapped, like a sandwich. Spread some tzatziki sauce on the pita breads and top it with the chicken gyro, some slices of red onion, some sliced tomato and fried potatoes and wrap.
- For an easier version of this traditional Greek souvlaki with chicken gyro recipe you can serve with Greek yogurt or some mustard and mayonnaise sauce. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 souvlaki with pita and tzatziki
- Calories: 445kcal
- Sugar: 6.2g
- Sodium: 2976.5mg
- Fat: 17.3g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 42.9g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Protein: 32.3g
- Cholesterol: 102.1mg
Keywords: Chicken gyro recipe, Greek chicken Gyro marinade