Make your own homemade chicken skewers with fluffy pita bread and creamy tzatziki sauce with this easy to follow Greek chicken souvlaki ( skewers / suvlaki / suflaki ) recipe!
Souvlaki is one of the most popular street foods in Greece and for good reason. It’s stuffed with well cooked and seasoned meat, garnished with a cooling tzatziki sauce, wrapped in a delicious crispy pita and best of all? It tastes like heaven!
Souvlaki stands for “meat-on-a-skewer”, however the majority of Greeks and especially those from Athens call any type of pita wrapped meat a souvlaki, specifying the type of meat and method of roasting separately. For example Souvlaki with chicken Gyros or Souvlaki with pork Skewers etc.
Chicken Souvlaki recipe – How to video
We love this recipe so much that we made a short video showing you how to make it to perfection. Check it out below and don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel for more delicious quick recipes here: https://www.youtube.com/mygreekdish
Greek chicken souvlaki recipe – Preparing the marinade
The most important step in making the perfect, traditional Greek chicken souvlaki is nothing else but the marinade! For this traditional chicken souvlaki recipe, the chicken is first marinated to soak up all the wonderful Mediterranean flavours and then grilled to high temperature, to get all crunchy, nicely coloured and juicy.
Select some good quality chicken breasts and season with a selection of Greek spices like oregano, coat with extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice and flavour with garlic.
Tip: Marinading your chicken souvlaki in the fridge for at least half an hour will allow the aromas to infuse the souvlaki and give it the desired flavours.
Tips for the best Greek Chicken Souvlaki Skewers
- First of all it is important to marinade the pieces of chicken for at least half an hour in the fridge, to soak up all the wonderful flavours.
- When cooking the chicken souvlaki skewers try not to overcook them, to avoid becoming dry and tough. Juicy, tender chicken is entirely a function of cooking it just enough. And this means to reach internal temperature of 165 F (74 C).
- When threading the pieces of chicken on the skewers it is essential to thread the pieces loosely, rather than smush them tightly together. This will allow the chicken cook evenly in between the pieces.
- If you like peppers you could thread some pieces of green and red bell peppers and red onion in between the chicken. Cut them in the same size as the chicken to help them cook through and caramelise. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Chicken Souvlaki recipe – Serve your Chicken souvlaki (skewers) the traditional Greek way
The best way to serve your traditional Greek chicken souvlaki is nothing other than with some delicious traditional Greek pita. Finding the original Greek pita can be quite challenging as most supermarkets stock only the arabian style ones but you can most likely find them at your local Greek deli or amazon (here and here).
However as we all know, nothing compares to home-made, so you can also make your own homemade pita bread with this super easy recipe.
Of course tzatziki is the preferred sauce to garnish your chicken souvlaki and we have included one below. Don’t forget to season with some salt and paprika, sweet or spicy if you like an extra kick. Most Greeks enjoy their traditional Greek chicken souvlaki with some potato fries, so feel free to try adding some as well.
Τzatziki sauce recipe – How to video
I can think of nothing better to go with this delicious souvlaki than a cooling, delicious Greek Tzatziki sauce (yoghurt and garlic dip), so here is my short video on how to make it to perfection!
More recipes for souvlaki for you to try:
Love Greek souvlaki? Then give these delicious and super easy recipes a try and let me know what you think!
- Marinated Greek Beef Souvlaki Skewers (Beef Kabobs)
- Greek pork souvlaki skewers with tzatziki sauce
- Marinated Greek Lamb Souvlaki recipe (Skewers) with Pita and Tzatziki
- Vegetable skewers with halloumi cheese
This Greek Chicken souvlaki recipe (skewers) takes you back to your favourite Taverna! Complete with best chicken souvlaki marinade and what to serve along.
For the chicken souvlaki
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (approx. 1 kg/35 ounces)
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground pepper
For the tzatziki sauce
- 1 cucumber
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 of a cup extra virgin olive oil
- 500g of strained yogurt (18 ounces)
- 1–2 tbsps of red wine vinegar
- a pinch of salt
- 8 pita breads
- olive oil
- 1–2 tsps dried oregano
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- fried potatoes (optional)
- romaine (cos) lettuce (optional)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8–9 wooden skewers
- To prepare this chicken souvlaki recipe, start by preparing the marinade. Cut the chicken breasts into 2-3 cm pieces and place them in a large bowl, along with all the marinade ingredients. Use your hands to mix really well, cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the tzatziki sauce for the chicken souvlaki. Pour in a blender the olive oil and grated garlic and blend until combined. Remove the skin and the seeds of the cucumber and grate it into a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and leave aside for 10 minutes. Wrap the grated cucumber in a towel and squeeze, in order to get rid of the excess water. In a bowl, add the cucumber, the blended garlic and oil, the yogurt, 1-2 tbsps of red wine vinegar, a pinch of salt and blend, until the ingredients are combined. Store the tzatziki sauce in the fridge and always serve cold.
- To assemble the chicken souvlaki (skewers), cut the wooden skewers to fit your griddle pan and soak them in water. (This will prevent them from burning.) Thread the chicken pieces, comfortably, on the skewers.
- Preheat a grill or griddle pan on a high heat. Cook the chicken souvlaki (skewers) for about 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until nicely coloured on all sides and cooked through.
- While your chicken souvlaki is cooking, prepare the pita breads. Preheat the oven to 250C. Use a cooking brush to oil the pita breads on both sides and season with salt and oregano. Place a large oven tray (upside down) at the bottom of the oven and place the pita breads on top of the tray. Bake for 2 minutes. (Alternatively you can use a griddle pan or a grill.)
- To serve the chicken souvlaki (skewers), slice 2 red onions and place on a platter; top with the chicken souvlaki (skewers), drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil and a good squeeze of lemon juice. Serve while still warm with some pita breads and tzatziki sauce. You can also serve the chicken souvlaki (skewers) wrapped, like a sandwich. Spread some tzatziki sauce on the pita breads and top it with the chicken souvlaki (skewers), sliced onions, tomatoes and fried potatoes and wrap. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 skewer
- Calories: 191kcal
- Sugar: 0.3g
- Sodium: 279.8mg
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 5.6g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 23.3g
- Cholesterol: 72.4mg
Keywords: Chicken souvlaki recipe, Greek chicken skewers, Chicken souvlaki marinade