Healthy, delicious and comforting Greek peas and potato stew with tomatoes (Arakas laderos kokkinistos). A traditional Greek dish that is a staple in every household and with this super easy recipe you can recreate it from scratch, just like yiayia used to make it!
- 450g /16 oz. peas (peeled)
- 120g /4 oz. olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 potatoes, cut in cubes
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 300g /10 oz. ripe tomatoes, grated
- 1–2 fresh onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- To prepare this delicious Greek peas and potatoes recipe (Arakas laderos), heat half the olive oil in a medium sized pot. Sauté the red onions and fresh onions until soft. Add carrots, potatoes and tomato puree and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Add the grated tomatoes and enough hot water so that the ingredients are covered just a bit.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 15 minutes (without the lid), until the potatoes have softened a bit.
- Add the peas, fresh dill and the remaining olive oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Mix well, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until peas are soft and water is gone. (they should only be left with the olive oil.)
- Serve at room temperature with crumbled feta cheese and crusty bread.
- Serving Size: 1 plate
- Calories: 246kcal
- Sugar: 5.3g
- Sodium: 418.6mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19.8g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Greek Peas, Arakas Laderos, Arakas Kokkinistos