A traditional Greek sesame seed bread rings recipe! If you’ve ever found yourself walking the streets of Athens or Thessalonikis then you can’t have missed on all the street vendors selling these popular sesame koulouria! Discover how to make your own with this original recipe!
- 500g all purpose flour (19 oz.)
- 2 tsps salt
- 300g lukewarm water (10.5 oz.)
- 8g dry active yeast (0.3 oz.)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 200–250g sesame seeds (8–9 oz.)
- To prepare these Greek sesame bread rings recipe, start by making the dough. In the mixer’s bowl add the lukewarm water, the yeast and sugar and stir. Wrap well with plastic wrap and set aside for about 8-10 minutes, until the yeast starts bubbling. Into the same bowl, add first the flour, then the salt and olive oil. Using the dough hook, mix all the ingredients at low speed for about 7 minutes, until the dough becomes an elastic ball. When done, remove the dough from the hook and check out its texture. It should be smooth and elastic and slightly sticky. If it is too sticky, add just a little more flour (1/2 tsp), mix and check again.
- Coat lightly a bowl with some olive oil, place the dough inside and cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough sit in warm place for about 30 minutes. Knead the dough again at medium-high speed for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn the dough onto a working surface and divide into 12 pieces. Take one piece of the dough and roll out into a rope approx. 35cm long. Form a circle and join the ends pinching them together. Place the bread ring on a large baking tray, lined up with parchment paper and repeat with the rest of the dough. (You will need two large baking trays.)
- Prepare the ingredients for the garnish. In one bowl pour some water. In a separate bowl or tray place the sesame seeds. Dip the koulouria (bread rings) in water and then in sesame seeds, making sure to cover them on all sides. Place them back on your baking sheets, leaving some distance between them. Let them rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes. (For garnish you can also petimezi for extra flavour. Use 1/3 of a cup petimezi diluted in 1/4 of cup water and dip the bread rings first in the petimezi mixture and then in sesame seeds.)
- Bake in preheated oven at 200C for about 15 minutes, until nicely golden brown and crusty. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 ring
- Calories: 281kcal
- Sugar: 0.5g
- Sodium: 390.6mg
- Fat: 12.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 36.3g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Protein: 7.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Koulouri Thessalonikis recipe, Greek sesame bread rings, Greek Bagel