Juicy and moist, there is nothing better than homemade stuffed burgers! This is a Greek variation for burgers stuffed with feta cheese.
- 500g lean minced beef (18 ounces)
- 1 small ripped tomato, grated
- 1 red onion, grated
- 1 clove of garlic, mashed
- 1 egg
- 2/3 of a cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsps parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- 1–2 tsps salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 150–200g feta cheese for the stuffing (6 ounces)
- To prepare the mixture for the stuffed hamburgers, add into a large bowl the minced beef along with the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly with your hands. If the mixture is too sticky, add some more breadcrumbs (or some water/olive oil if it is too dry) till the mix is solid. It is important to knead the mix for about 10 minutes so that all the ingredients combine and the beef absorbs all the flavours. An easier alternative is to mix with a hand mixer using the dough hook at low speed.
- Leave the mixture in the fridge to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut the feta cheese into small cubes and sprinkle with some dry oregano. For the stuffed burgers, in addition to feta cheese, you could also add chopped tomatoes and peppers coarsely chopped.
- Knead the mixture into flat, thin, round burgers. At the center of half of the burgers place some of the stuffing and top them with another half-burger, squeezing on the edges till they stick together. We don’t want that stuffing running out while cooking now, do we?
- Place the burgers on a large baking tray and cook in preheated oven at 200C for 25 minutes. Flip them once to make sure both sides are nicely cooked and crusty. Once ready, remove the tray from the oven and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve while still hot with a leafy salad sprinkled with some olive oil, sea salt and balsamic glaze. Enjoy!!!
Keywords: feta stuffed burgers, greek stuffed burgers, stuffed burgers in oven