A gorgeous traditional Greek island recipe! The tanginess of a strong, traditional Greek feta cheese combined with the sweetness of Romano peppers make for an extraordinary combination. The secret ingredient in this traditional Greek stuffed peppers recipe is nothing else than the feta cheese stuffing. By using 2/3rds feta cheese and 1/3rd yellow cheese the stuffing will be gorgeously melty but, at the same time, will preserve the saltiness of the feta. To bring all of the Mediterranean aromas to this stuffed peppers with feta cheese recipe, make sure you garnish with fresh garlic, parsley and good quality olive oil and optionally add some chopped chilli for that extra spicy kick, if you prefer.
This traditional stuffed peppers with feta cheese recipe is usually best eaten over the summer months as its light texture is ideal for a quick meal under the hot Greek island sun; however there is nothing wrong with enjoying it all year round as a delicious Greek appetizer, with a nice glass of dry white wine and let yourself be transported to your favourite beach holiday destination!
As always, feel free to comment below with any questions, comments or just to say hi! And don’t forget to share on your favourite social network using the links above.
- 12-14 red green peppers,long (Romano)
- 100g feta cheese, crushed with a fork (4 ounces)
- 50g kefalotyri or any hard yellow cheese, grated (2 ounces)
- 1 small tomato, peeled and seeded
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsps chopped parsley
- 2 tbsps of olive oil for the stuffing
- 1 cup of olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 chilli pepper, chopped (optionally)
- In a saucepan with plenty of boiling salted water, add the peppers and leave them for 5 minutes, until softened. Place the peppers on some paper towel to dry and then cut the upper part of the peppers, along with the stalks and seeds (you will need them later).
- Prepare the stuffing. In a food processor, add 2 tbsp’s of olive oil, the garlic and the onion and blend. Add Into a large bowl, along with the chopped parsley, the chopped tomato, the feta cheese, the kefalotyri and mix with with a fork, until the ingredients are combined.
- Use a teaspoon to fill the peppers with the stuffing; spread them in a greased oven tray and use a cooking brush, to coat them with olive oil. Place the stalks back on the peppers, so that the cheese won’t pour out, when melted.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170C for 1/2 hour until the peppers are nicely colored and the cheese starts to melt