These lovely homemade hamburger buns will definitely become the talk of your next barbecue! Fresh, fluffy with a wonderful golden brown semi-soft crust.. This is our very best homemade hamburger buns recipe, which after you try, you will never go for the store version again! So, if your hot and juicy hamburger needs a fluffy, soft and crispy companion, you have just found it. Give this super easy homemade hamburger buns recipe a try and you will realise that there are no homemade burgers without homemade hamburger buns!
Homemade Hamburger buns recipe – How to make the perfect dough
If you have ever tried making your own homemade hamburger buns before it is possible that you have faced the disappointment of a heavy, bland bread, which despite your efforts didn’t look or taste like a hamburger bun.. You’re not alone! It is a common secret, that making your own homemade hamburger buns is quite challenging. But experience has shown me, that it’s all about having the right recipe. After a lot of experimenting I was more than excited to finally come up with a recipe for homemade hamburger buns which wasn’t just decent, but better than the store bought version!
The secret for the best homemade hamburger buns lies in the rising, which means that the right temperature is key. Once starting to prepare this homemade hamburger buns recipe, make sure that all ingredients are at room temperature before using and lukewarm when added in the mixture; this will guarantee that your dough will rise. One can find many quick 40-minute versions of making homemade hamburger buns, but I strongly recommend to go all the way and dedicate some more time.
This homemade hamburger buns recipe can be summarised in 5 key stages: mix, rise, shape, rise and bake. Give the dough time to rise and it will reward you with its distinctive air-y fluffiness. Once the dough has risen, handle it gently with your hands and try not to overwork it. The most common mistake for the ones that haven’t tried making homemade hamburger buns before is that once the dough is mixed, it resembles a little sticky, so most just add more flour, which result your hamburger buns to lose their fluffiness. It’s always better to go for a little bit more sticky than firm and tough. So be careful to add more flour than this homemade hamburger buns recipe calls for only in case the dough is very sticky after mixing for 10 minutes.
For the topping you could either go with egg wash or melted butter. The egg wash helps the sesame seeds stick better and gives a more crusty and darker golden brown top, while the melted butter gives a nice buttery flavour, mild golden colour and softer crust. Both are delicious, so it’s up to you. Just don’t forget to garnish your homemade burger buns with sesame seeds for extra crunchiness and flavour. Enjoy!
So go ahead try out this is no-fail homemade hamburger buns recipe and succeed on your first time!
These lovely homemade hamburger buns will definitely become the talk of your next barbecue! Fresh, fluffy with a wonderful golden brown semi-soft crust.. This is our very best homemade hamburger buns recipe, which after you try, you will never go for the store version again!
For the burger buns
- 250ml warm water
- 1 package dry active yeast (8g/0.28 oz.)
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsps melted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsps sugar
- 520–550g all-purpose flour (18.5–19.5 oz.)
For the topping
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- (or 75g/2.65 oz. melted butter)
- sesame seeds
- To prepare this homemade hamburger buns recipe, start by making the dough. Add in the mixer’s bowl the yeast, the warm water and 50g flour (5 tbsps). Using a hand whisk, whisk all the ingredients to form a batter. Wrap the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 6-7 minutes, until the yeast rises and starts bubbling. Be careful not do add hot water, as it will kill the yeast, nor cold, as it will take forever for your hamburger buns to rise. The water should be at the same temperature as your finger, so check it out sticking one finger in; you should feel no difference in temperature.
- In the meantime melt the butter. The key is to melt the butter at very low heat, so that the temperature doesn’t kill the yeast. Remove the pan from the stove and check the temperature. The butter should be at the same temperature as your finger. If it is warmer, leave to cool down for a few minutes and check again.
- Pour the butter in the yeast mixture and add the egg and sugar. Whisk to combine. Top with the flour and add the salt.
- Using the dough hook mix at first at low speed, until the ingredients start to combine and then mix at medium-high speed for about 10 minutes, until the dough doesn’t stick on the sides of the bowl. At this point the dough should be really soft and a little sticky. (Be careful not to add any more flour than this homemade hamburger buns recipe calls for, as the dough should be really soft and not firm).
- Coat lightly the dough with oil and place in a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm place for about 2 hours or until doubled in size. If the environment is cold, preheat the oven at 30C, turn it off and place the bowl inside.
- Gently deflate the dough and place on a lightly floured working surface. Dust your hands with flour and divide in 8 equal sized pieces (approx. 115 g./4 oz. each). Form each piece into a round shape, gently tucking ends underneath. Gently pat the dough rounds into flat disc shapes about 1.5 cm thick. Arrange the hamburger buns on a large baking tray lined with parchment paper and dust very lightly with flour. Drape some plastic wrap over the baking sheet and let rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and beat the egg and milk in a small bowl. Lightly brush the top of each hamburger bun with the egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake in preheated oven for about 16-17 minutes until nicely coloured. Place the hamburger buns on a rack to cool down completely before cutting and store in airtight container for 1-2 days.
- Serving Size: 1 bun
- Calories: 304kcal
- Sugar: 4.9g
- Sodium: 446.8mg
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 54.8g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 7.9g
- Cholesterol: 31.9mg
Keywords: Homemade Burger Buns