If you think that making homemade kourabiedes / kourambiethes (Christmas Greek butter cookies with almonds) takes lots of time and effort, try this super easy recipe!
- 250g butter made from cows milk, cold (9 ounces, 1.1 cups) (Lurpak unsalted)
- 150g almonds, roughly chopped or almond slivers, roasted (6 ounces, 1 1/4 cups)
- 50g almonds (whole) or almond slivers, raw (1.8 ounces, 1/4 cups)
- 75g icing sugar (2.7 ounces, 1/2 cups)
- 1 tbsp rose water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 400g all-purpose (plain) flour (14.2 ounces, 3 1/5 cups)
- lots of icing sugar for powdering
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 390F. To prepare this kourabiedes (kourambiethes) recipe start by roasting the almonds. Place the roughly chopped almonds (150g/ 6 ounces) or almond silvers on a baking tray and sprinkle with some water. Bake them for 7-8 minutes, until roasted, being careful not to burn them. Set aside or put in the fridge to cool.
- In a blender, add the raw almonds (50g/ 1.8 ounces) or the pistachios and blend, until powdered. Set aside.
- In a food processor, add the cold butter and sugar; mix for about 10 seconds, until the butter ‘breaks’ and is completely dissolved. Add the powdered almonds, a pinch of salt, the rosewater and the vanilla extract; mix for 10-20 seconds, until combined. At the end, add the baking powder and flour and mix again for 10-15 seconds.
- Place the mixture in a large bowl and add the roasted almonds; blend lightly with your hands. For the kourabiedes to remain fluffy, it is important that the butter doesn’t warm up and melt. So wait for a while for the roasted almonds to cool, before adding them to the butter mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 170C / 340F. Layer the bottom of 2 baking trays with parchment paper and form the kourabiedes.
- Roll 1 tbsp (about 30g) of the dough into a ball, place on the baking tray and push with your finger in the middle, to form a little dimple. Continue with the rest of the dough. Place in the fridge for 5 minutes until you prepare your next tray.
- Place the baking trays with the kourabiedes in second and fourth rack of the oven. Bake for approx. 15-20 minutes, until they have a very faint golden tint and are cooked through. Be careful not to overbake them.
- Leave the kourabiedes aside to cool down for a while. If you try to lift them, while still warm, they will break!
- Spray the kourabiedes with rosewater and sift with icing sugar. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 196kcal
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 95.5mg
- Fat: 12.2g
- Saturated Fat: 5.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19.6g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 21.5mg
Keywords: kourabiedes, kourambiethes, Rosewater cookies, Greek christmas butter cookies, Greek almond cookies