A Greek traditional vegetarian meze from the island of Tinos. Learn how to make these crispy and crunchy fennel fritters with this traditional recipe.
- 2 ½ cups self raising flour
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 bunch fennel, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- corn oil for frying
- Finely chop the onion, spring onions and fennel.
- Place into a large bowl and add the flour, along with some water and mix with a wooden spoon, until the mixture forms a thick batter. Sprinkle with salt and plenty of pepper and stir well.
- In a pan add enough oil to fry the fritters, and heat the oil into medium-high heat.
- Dip a tablespoon in some water and spoon out some of the mixture into the hot oil. Repeat this procedure until the surface of the pan is comfortably filled. You should dip the spoon in the water every time, so that the dough doesn’t stick on it. Fry the marathokeftedes until nicely colored. Place them on paper towel, to absorb the extra olive oil.
- Serve with sprigs of fennel and fresh yogurt.
Keywords: marathokeftedes, fennel fritters