The very best homemade Greek pita bread recipe! And the best part, made with only 4 ingredients. Find out how to bake them to perfection with this super easy recipe.
- 500–530g (17-18.5 oz.) flour (plus some extra for dusting )
- 360g (12.7 oz.) lukewarm (40C/ 104F)
- 8g (0.3 oz.) dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- To prepare this pitta bread recipe add in a mixer’s bowl the yeast, sugar and water and blend to dissolve the yeast. Set aside for 5-10 minutes until yeast froths.
- Add the flour and salt and mix using the dough hook for 6-8 minutes. Alternatively you could mix the ingredients by hand.
- Depending on the flour used, the dough may need a little bit less or more flour than this pita bread recipe calls for. After mixing for a while the dough for your pita bread should become an elastic ball and a bit sticky.
- When done, coat the dough with olive oil, place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Let it sit in a warm place, for at least 20 minutes or until it doubles its size. (It could take up to two hours). This is an important step for this pita bread recipe, so that the pita bread becomes fluffy and soft. If it is winter, turn the oven on for a few minutes, until it’s a little warm, switch it off and then let the dough rise in it.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and gently deflate with your hands. Use just a tiny bit of flour to help you if it is too sticky. Split in 6 evenly sized balls. (145g/ 5 oz.) each one). Repeat with the rest.
- To form the pita bread, you can either use a rolling pin, or stretch it with your hands, about 20cm in diameter. If the dough springs back, set it aside for a few minutes to rest and then continue rolling again.
- For a more traditional look on your pita bread, press with your fingertips or use a fork to make some holes on top.
- Heat a non-sticking frying pan to medium heat and add just a little bit of olive oil and wipe of any excess. Fry each pita bread for about 3 minutes on each side, until slightly coloured and still soft. If your pan has a lid, place the lid on while frying to keep the moisture in.
- To give more colour, push lightly the pita bread with a wooden spoon on the pan.
- Serving Size: 1 pita
- Calories: 308kcal
- Sugar: 0.2g
- Sodium: 4.7mg
- Fat: 0.9g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 64.1g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 9.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Pita Bread recipe, Easy Homemade Pitta Bread