Our tasty take on the traditional sponge cake! Try it out with some ice cream and enjoy the perfect dessert!
Our tasty take on the traditional sponge cake! Try it out with some ice cream and enjoy what arguably is the perfect dessert!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 4 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa
- 6 tablespoons milk
- Beat the melted butter with the sugar for a few minutes till, light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and let them absorb in the mixture.
- Add the vanilla, salt and gradually add the sifted flour. Carry on whisking to make a fluffy mix.
- Grease your cake tin and sprinkle with some flour. Pour half of the mixture in it while you prepare the cocoa flavored mix.
- Heat up the milk till warm to touch and dissolve the cocoa. Pour in the cocoa mix in the remaining cake mix. Stir with a spoon till the cocoa mix is thoroughly mixed in.
- Use a spoon to pour out the mix into the baking tin and lightly stir to entangle the cocoa mix with the vanilla base.
- Preheat oven at 175 C and bake for about 1 hour. Test if its done by slowly piercing with a thin wooden skewer. If the mix sticks on the skewer it needs to cook for a little while longer.
- Let it cool down, remove from the tin and serve with some ice cream for the perfect desert!
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 376kcal
- Sugar: 20.7g
- Sodium: 275.6mg
- Fat: 21.3g
- Saturated Fat: 12.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 6.6g
- Cholesterol: 142mg
Keywords: Greek cake, greek vanilla and cocoa sponge cake, Victoria sponge