Want to make a traditional Greek Meatball Soup in Egg-lemon sauce (Youvarlakia Avgolemono)? This is a hearty and delicious dish, perfect for a cold winter’s day!
For the meatballs (youvarlakia)
- 500g lean minced beef (18 ounces)
- ¼ of a cup long-grain rice (not boiled)
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- ½ carrot, grated (optional)
- 3 tbsps fresh dill, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- a pinch of coriander
- freshly ground pepper
For the egg lemon sauce (Avgolemono)
- 2 eggs
- juice of 2 lemons
- To prepare this Greek meatball soup, start by making the meatballs (youvarlakia). Place all the meatball ingredients into a large bowl, knead the mixture squeezing the ingredients with your hand until smooth. Leave the mixture to rest in the fridge for 15 minutes. This will prevent the youvarlakia to break up when boiled. Form the meatballs (youvarlakia) and set them aside.
- Pour into a large pan 2 ½ cups of water and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and gently add the meatballs (youvarlakia) in the water, put the lid back on and cook for 20-25 minutes. (The water should be enough to cover the meatballs, so add some more warm water if needed)
- To prepare the egg lemon sauce for the Greek meatball soup, crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk. Add the lemon juice and whisk well. Add into the bowl a ladle of hot soup and whisk quickly. Add one more ladle and whisk again until combined.
- Stir in the egg lemon sauce into the youvarlakia soup and cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat, until warm but not boiling.
- Serve this extra warming Greek meatball soup, while still hot with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
- Make sure that you do not cover any left overs until they have cooled; the sauce may curdle otherwise!!
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 337kcal
- Sugar: 2.3g
- Sodium: 734.1mg
- Fat: 14.6g
- Saturated Fat: 4.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.6g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 16.7g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 33.9g
- Cholesterol: 214.5mg
Keywords: Youvarlakia recipe, Giouvarlakia Avgolemono, Greek Meatball Soup