If you are looking for a classic Greek meat pie, then this recipe for Kreatopita will be just what you need! Combining two different types of meat, it is a traditional, rustic pie you would see in villages across parts of Greece
For the Greek meat pie filling
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 325g diced lamb (11 1/2 oz)
- 325g diced pork (11 1/2 oz)
- 1 brown onion
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 200ml white wine (3/4 cups)
- 50g white basmati rice (1/4 cup)
- handful flat leaf parsley
- handful fresh mint
- butter, at room temperature
- 500g block puff pastry (1 lb 1 1/2 oz)
- 100g kefalotyri or halloumi cheese (3 1/2 oz)
- 1 egg
For the Greek meat pie filling
- To make the filling for this traditional Kreatopita, heat the olive oil in the bottom of a large heavy bottomed, lidded saucepan or casserole dish set over a medium high heat. Salt the meat well and fry the meat in batches until well browned, adjusting the heat if necessary to make sure you don’t get burnt bits on the bottom of the pan. Set the meat aside.
- Lower the heat to medium low. Finely chop the onion and gently fry it along with another pinch of salt in the fat leftover from the meat for 6-8 minutes until the onion has softened and started to brown. Peel and crush the garlic cloves and add them to the onion, cooking for a further minute until aromatic.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for another minute or two until slightly caramelised. Roughly chop the tomatoes and stir them in too, cooking for another few minutes until they start to break down. Add the dried marjoram.
- Add the wine and allow to reduce by half. Add 200ml / 3/4 cups water, and turn up the heat to bring the filling up to a boil. Reduce to low, clap on the lid and leave to simmer for an hour, until the meat is tender.
- Roughly chop the herbs and stir them into the pie filling, along with the uncooked rice. Leave to cool to room temperature.
- Check the seasoning of the cooled pie filling, adding pepper and more salt if necessary.
To assemble the Greek meat pie
- To assemble the Kreatopita, pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 350 Fahrenheit and liberally butter your deepest square baking dish roughly 22 cm / 9 inches square.
- Divide the puff pastry block into two, one half slightly smaller than the other to make the lid.
- On a well floured surface, roll the larger pastry block out into a large square, large enough to comfortably line the dish with a few centimetres / at least 1/2 inch to spare above the filling line. Use this to line the dish, using your fingers to push the pastry into the corners.
- Spoon in the filling. Lightly beat the egg, and brush the exposed edge of the pastry along the top.
- Grate the cheese and sprinkle it evenly across the top of the pie filling.
- Roll out the second block of pastry and top the pie with it, pressing down to seal the pastry along the egg wash line and trimming off any excess. Brush the top with egg wash and cut two small holes in the middle of the pie to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 1 hour until the pastry is golden. Leave to stand for 15 minutes before cutting and serving. Enjoy!
Keywords: Greek meat pie, kreatopita recipe, Greek meat pie puff pastry