There is nothing better than the smell of a freshly baked homemade pie! Sumptuous savoury pies are a staple in Greek cooking. From the classic Greek spanakopita, chicken pie (kotopita) to cheese pies of various sizes and shapes, savoury pies are suitable for every time of the day, as a main dish, starter or mid-day snack.
This is a traditional Greek recipe for a vegetarian leek pie (prasopita) for you to recreate this delicious traditional delight from scratch.
The main ingredient you will need to make a Greek pie are leeks (prasa), which are a favourite ingredient in all types of Greek recipes and especially when baked with cheese wrapped in phyllo (filo) dough, until nicely softened and sweetened, mingling with the melted cheese.
Tip: This recipe calls for 800g (28 oz.) leeks, but you will use only the white parts, so you will have to buy about 2 kg (70 oz.) of leeks.
Make this delicious Greek leek pie recipe the traditional way or just take a short cut
Traditional Greek recipes for homemade pies use homemade phyllo dough or commercial ‘village’ dough (xoriatiko phyllo), which is a little bit thicker than the usually paper thin phyllo and gives a more rustic touch.
As ‘village dough’ is a little bit difficult to find, you can either make this traditional Greek leek pie recipe using either commercial phyllo dough, puff pastry or, if you are feeling adventurous enough, make your own homemade phyllo with this easy recipe for homemade phyllo for beginners. Roll each sheet of dough with passion for good food and it will truly reward you with a crispy, flaky and delicious crust on your traditional Greek leek pie!
Try out this delicious traditional Greek leek pie recipe and amaze your friends and family with this crispy and velvety delight. Enjoy!
More delicious Greek Pies!
If you love a traditional Greek pie, the below recipes are made for you!
- Greek Meat Pie (Kreatopita)
- Greek Chicken Pie Recipe (Kotopita)
- Spanakopita Recipe With Homemade Phyllo (Authentic Greek Spinach Pie)
- Mini Spanakopita Triangles Recipe (Spanakopitakia / Greek Spinach Triangles)
- Greek Feta Cheese Pies Recipe (Tiropitakia)
- Spiral-Shaped Greek Cheese Pie Recipe (Kichi Kozanis)
- Traditional Zucchini Pie Recipe With Feta Cheese (Greek Kolokithopita)
- Traditional Tiropita Recipe (Greek Cheese Pie With Feta)
- Delicious Little Cheese Pies! (Pitarakia Milou)
Traditional Greek Leek Pie recipe (Prasopita)
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 portions 1x
- Category: Side
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Greek
- Diet: Vegetarian
Discover this traditional Greek leek pie recipe (prasopita) with homemade phyllo for you to recreate this delicious vegetarian delight from scratch!
- 12–15 phyllo sheets, thawed
- 800–900 g leeks, sliced (28 oz.)
- 3–4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 a glass white wine
- 1 egg yolk
- 250ml milk or milk cream (1 cup)
- 150g feta cheese, crumbled (5 oz.)
- 100g Graviera cheese, or hard yellow cheese (3.5 oz.)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- olive oil or butter for brushing the pan
- 1 egg and 1 tsp water to brush the top
- If you choose to prepare this Greek leek pie with commercial phyllo dough, it is important to thaw completely the phyllo dough by putting it in the fridge from the previous day. For the beginners at working with phyllo, check the handling tips before starting.
- To make this traditional Greek leek pie recipe, start by making the filling. Wash the leeks and trim them, keeping only the white part and cut in slices (2cm width).
- Heat a saucepan, add olive oil, the leeks and scallions and season with salt and pepper. Sauté, whilst stirring, until tender. Deglaze with the white wine and wait for it to evaporate. Remove the pan from the stove and allow them to cool down for a while.
- In a bowl add 1 egg yolk and the milk cream and whisk. Stir in the leeks mixture, feta cheese, graviera cheese, season with pepper and blend to combine.
- Brush a medium sized baking tray with olive oil and lay one sheet of phyllo dough, allowing it to exceed the pan. Brush the phyllo sheet with olive oil or melted butter and continue with 5-6 more phyllo sheets (brushing each one with olive oil or melted butter). Tip in the filling and even out using a spatula. With a knife trim some of the excessive phyllo, and fold the excess phyllo sheets flaps over the mixture. Add 5-6 more phyllo sheets, making sure to oil or butter each one, before adding the other. Trim some of the excessive phyllo and roll the rest on the edges.
- In a bowl whisk the egg and the water, brush the top of the leek pie and scar into pieces. Bake in preheated oven at 180C for about 50 minutes, until nicely coloured. Enjoy this traditional vegetarian Greek leek pie as a filling snack or as light meal. Καλή όρεξη!
Keywords: Prasopita, Greek leek pie recipe, leek and feta pie, prasopita me feta
Recipe image gallery:
What size pan do you use for the prasopita? Thanks.