If you love garlic, then you have to try this amazing traditional Greek skordalia recipe! Skordalia is a rich and hearty Greek potato dip, which takes its name by the basic ingredient used to prepare it and is of course skordo (garlic).
- 5–6 medium potatoes
- 5–7 cloves of garlic (according to preference)
- 2 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 1/2 a cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 a cup water (from the boiled potatoes)
- 1 tbsp salt
- To prepare this skordalia recipe, start by washing thoroughly the potatoes. Peel the potatoes and place them in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Lower the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for about 30 minutes. (For this skordalia recipe the potatoes need to boil, until very tender.) Drain them in a colander and keep 1/2 a cup of the boiling water.
- In a food processor add 1/2 a cup of the boiling water, the garlic, red wine vinegar and season with salt. Blend until the garlic is diluted. Cut the potatoes in pieces, add them in the food processor and blend to combine. Pour in the olive oil a little bit at a time, whilst blending, like making mayonnaise. Blend until the oil is incorporated and the mixture is smooth and creamy. If you like your skordalia to have a mild garlicky taste, a little trick is to boil the garlic (peeled) in some milk for about 5 minutes, before using.
- When making a skordalia recipe, it is essential, that the potatoes are hot. If the potatoes are cold, then it will be difficult to combine the ingredients and the skordalia will become lumpy.
- If you don’t have a food processor to prepare this skordalia recipe, you can mash the potatoes with a fork and combine the ingredients, using a whisk.
- Serve the skordalia as a delicious dip or side dish with some toasted bread or pita breads. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 portion
- Calories: 215kcal
- Sugar: 1.5g
- Sodium: 894mg
- Fat: 14.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21.5g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Skordalia recipe, Greek Potato Garlic dip