Find out how to make the perfect spiral-shaped Greek cheese pie (Kichi Kozanis) with this traditional, locally sourced recipe. It all starts with some good quality phyllo.
- 400g phyllo dough for pies (14 ounces)
- 600g feta cheese, crumbled (21 ounces)
- 100g Graviera cheese, grated (3.5 ounces)
- 2 tbsps semolina (thin)
- 80ml milk (1/3 of a cup)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsps fresh mint, chopped (optional)
- freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 of a cup olive oil
- sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- If you choose to prepare this Greek cheese pie with commercial phyllo dough, it is important to thaw completely the phyllo dough by putting it in the fridge from the previous day. For the beginners at working with phyllo, check the handling tips before starting.
- To make this Greek cheese pie, start by preparing the filling first. Pour the milk in a large bowl, crack the eggs and whisk. Add the Graviera cheese and whisk again. Stir in the crumbled feta cheese, the chopped mint, season with freshly ground pepper and sprinkle with the semolina. Blend well, so that the flavours mix.
- Preheat the oven to 170C and oil the bottom and sides of a round baking tray (approx. 35cm diameter).
- Unroll the phyllo dough from the plastic sleeve and place one sheet of phyllo on a working surface (larger side facing you). Using a pastry brush, brush with olive oil. Spread some of the filling, making a lane on the edge of the larger side of the phyllo sheet and roll into a ‘sausage’. Place the roll on the baking tray, starting from the outer side of the tray (the phyllo roll should be touching the side of the pan). Repeat with the rest of the dough, placing the rolls (touching each other) in the baking tray, forming a ‘snail’, that leads to the centre of the pan. Oil the surface of the pie with enough olive oil and bake in preheated oven at 170C for about 75 minutes, until nicely coloured and crispy.Â If the pie starts getting coloured to quickly, cover up with aluminium foil.
- Serve this delicious Greek cheese pie while still warm as an appetiser, snack or side dish. Enjoy!
Keywords: Greek spiral cheese pie, kichi kozanis