For all the chocolate lovers! Soft, moist and extra fudgy with a shiny slightly crackled crust.. A delicious and much healthier alternative to the traditional brownie recipes; a Mediterranean inspired chocolate brownie recipe with a secret ingredient: extra virgin olive oil! So if the kids insist on having some super chocolatey brownies, give these healthier olive oil brownies a try, as they have nothing to be jealous of the full-fat butter based chocolate brownies. (For all the health benefits of the olive oil:see “Cooking with olive oil: stay healthy and young”)
DO NOT use strong flavoured olive oil as the brownies will be infused with its taste taking away from the flavour of the chocolate! The olive oil needs to be light in colour and texture/flavor. If you are not feeling brave enough to give it a go, substitute for vegetable oil or plain good old butter.Print
Soft, moist and extra fudgy with a shiny slightly crackled crust..These olive oil brownies are very addictive! A delicious and much healthier
- 300g good-quality dark chocolate (10 oz)
- 160g (1/2 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 eggs, preferably organic
- 200g sugar (7 oz)
- 120g flour, sifted (4.2 oz)
- 50g walnuts, chopped (1.7 ounces) – optional
- To prepare these olive oil brownies, break the eggs into a large bowl and add the sugar. Whisk with an electric mixer at high speed, until the mixture is thick, foamy and doubles it’s original volume. This should take about 5 minutes and should have stiff peaks forming.
- In the meantime melt the chocolate. To melt the chocolate it is best to use a bain-marie (or double boiler), a piece of equipment used to heat the chocolate gently and gradually to fixed temperatures so that it doesn’t burn. If you don’t have a Bain-marie, break the chocolate into small pieces and drop into a heatproof bowl. Set the bowl over a small saucepan about a quarter full with hot water and place the bowl on top so that it rests on the rim of the pan (the bowl should not to touch the water). Place the pan, with the bowl on top, over low heat until the chocolate has melted, whilst stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the stove and stir in the extra virgin olive oil, the egg-sugar mixture and the chopped walnuts. Blend with a spatula with light circular movements from the bottom up. Sieve the flour over the bowl a little bit at a time and blend, folding gently the mixture with circular movements from the bottom up, until the ingredients combine. You don’t want to overwork the mixture.
- Line one round baking tin (approx. 18cm/7 inches ) with parchment paper and tip in the mixture in an even layer.
- Bake these olive oil brownies in a preheated oven to 160C 25-30 minutes, until they have formed a shiny and dry slightly cracked layer but are still moist underneath.
- Serve these delicious olive oil brownies with a full spoon of vanilla ice-cream on top. Enjoy!!
- These olive oil brownies are very addictive, so in the highly impossible case that you do have some leftovers.. keep them in an airtight container at room-temperature for 1-2 weeks.
Keywords: Greek brownies, olive oil brownies, mediterranean brownies