A super versatile, traditional Greek spanakopita triangles recipe (spanakopitakia)! These little treats are perfect for every time of the day as delicious starter, mid-day snack or light dinner! Discover how to make them to perfection with this traditional recipe.
- 10 sheets of phyllo dough
- 500g spinach, washed and roughly chopped (18 ounces)
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled (7 ounces)
- a pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1–2 tbsps fresh dill, chopped (optional)
- some melted butter or olive oil for brushing
- salt and pepper to taste
- If you’re a beginner with phyllo, check out some helpful handling tips before start preparing this spanakopita triangles recipe.
- To prepare this spanakopita triangles recipe start by making the filling first. Sauté the onions in a large knob of butter or olive oil until soft and turning golden. Add the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the spinach in batches and cook until wilted.
- Let the mixture cool down for a while and then tip into a bowl, leaving behind any excess liquid from the spinach (you don’t want your spanakopita triangles to become mushy). Mix in the feta cheese, eggs, nutmeg, spring onion and season. At this point you can add some chopped fresh herbs if you like; some fresh dill will surely lift the flavour. This will be the filling of the spanakopita triangles.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and start shaping your spanakopita triangles.
- Spread one sheet of the phyllo dough on the kitchen counter and with a cooking brush drizzle with some melted butter or olive oil. Spread one more sheet on top and drizzle with some more butter.
- Cut the phyllo sheets in 3-4 lanes (depending on if you like the spanakopita triangles to be small or larger). At the end of each lane add one tablespoon of the filling. Fold one corner to form a triangle and continue folding the triangle upon itself, until the entire piece of phyllo is used. Continue with the rest phyllo sheets and filling.
- Oil the bottom of a large baking tray, place the spanakopita triangles and brush them with some melted butter on top. Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 25-30 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- Serve these delicious traditional Greek spanakopita triangles as a great starter with a Greek feta salad aside. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 triangle
- Calories: 90kcal
- Sugar: 1.2g
- Sodium: 315.9mg
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 8.4g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 30.2mg
Keywords: Spanakopita triangles, Spanakopitakia recipe, Mini Spanakopita parcels, Greek Spinach and Feta triangles