Juicy and full of flavors! Surprise your guests with this dish and let them wonder what is hidden inside these cute little pouches!
Pork Pouches with Potatoes, Peppers, Onions (Xoirino Kleftiko or Exohiko)
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 85 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 5-6 portions 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Greek
Juicy and full of flavors! Surprise your guests with this Greek Pork kleftiko (Exohiko) and let them wonder what is hidden inside these cute little pouches!
- 1 kg/ 35 ounces pork (leg, without the bones)
- 2 red onions, roughly chopped
- 3 peppers (yellow, red, green), roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 150–200g kefalotyri or graviera or any hard yellow cheese (6–7 ounces)
- 3 large potatoes, cut into slices or wedges
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup white dry wine
- 2 tbsps mustard
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp dry oregano
- grease proof paper
- kitchen string
- Wash thoroughly the pork and cut into portions. Place the pork into a large bowl, along with the onions, peppers, garlic and mustard. Pour in the wine and the olive oil and season with salt, pepper and oregano. It is better to leave the pork marinade for 1-2 hours in the fridge. That will help the pork to absorb all the flavours and become more tender.
- Cut the potatoes into slices, or wedges, approx. 0.7 cm thick and chop the cheese into cubes. Wrap the pork in little pouches, using some grease proof paper. Cut the grease proof paper into large pieces, approx. 30*45 and arrange them on a table. In the middle of each piece layer 3-4 slices of potatoes and season with some salt. Top the potatoes with some meat and some of the ingredients of the marinade, along with the juices. Top the meat with some cubes of cheese.
- Cut some kitchen string. Hold the grease proof paper from the edges, crosswise and grab with your hand in the middle, just above the stuffing and squeeze. Use the kitchen string to tie tightly the whole thing together, just above the stuffing. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Place the pouches into a baking tray, and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 85-90 minutes. Cut the kitchen strings and serve as it is.
Keywords: pork kleftiko, xoirino exohiko recipe
Recipe image gallery: