It doesn’t matter if you haven’t made a pie before. This amazing easy Greek spinach pie recipe (spanakopita) is made in only one hour from scratch!
- 2 small red onions, halved and sliced
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 500g spinach, washed and roughly chopped (18 ounces)
- a pinch of grated nutmeg
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled (7 ounces)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1–2 tbsps fresh dill, chopped (optional)
- 3–4 large sheets filo pastry
- salt and pepper to taste
- If you choose to prepare this Greek spinach pie recipe with commercial phyllo dough, it is important to thaw completely the phyllo dough by putting it in the fridge from the previous day. For the beginners at working with phyllo, check the handling tips before start making the spanakopita.
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- To prepare this spinach pie recipe, sauté the onions in a large knob of butter until soft and turning golden. Add the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the spinach in batches and cook until wilted. Cool, then tip into a bowl (leaving behind any excess liquid from the spinach) and mix in the nutmeg, feta, eggs, spring onion and season. This will be the filling of the spanakopita.
- For this spinach pie recipe you will need a non stick baking pan, about 20-22cm. Put the first sheet of filo in the pan and brush with butter, letting the excess hang over the sides. Keep going with the rest of the sheets, turning a little before adding each additional pastry sheet and brushing all over with butter. When all the pastry is used up, tip in the filling of the spanakopita and fold over the excess pastry to cover. If you like to prepare a larger pan of spanakopita for a big crowd, double the ingredients for the filling and use a 25*35 cm baking dish. Layer the 4-5 phyllo sheets to form the bottom of the spanakopita, tip in the filling and top with 4-5 more phyllo sheets.
- Butter the top of the spinach pieÂ with melted butter and scar with a sharp knife. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes until the filo is crisp and golden.
- Leave the spanakopita cool down for 10-15 minutes before cutting into pieces. Serve the spinach pie with Greek feta salad. Enjoy!
Keywords: easy spanakopita recipe, spinach pie recipe, easy spinach pie